From: Rolando Espinoza La Fuente on
TL;DR: if you want to stay sane, don't inherit two classes that share
same inheritance graph

I recently got puzzled by a bug from a legacy lib (ClientForm)
which have this code:

class ParseError(sgmllib.SGMLParseError,
HTMLParser.HTMLParseError,
):
pass

And fails because takes __init__ from sgmllib and __str__ from HTMLParser
where __str__ uses attributes set by HTMLParser's init.

At first look, I thought was just matter to swap the inherit classes.
But a deeper
look take me to the python's mro reading:
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.3/mro/

And to reproduce the error I code this:

class Foo(object):
def __init__(self, msg):
self.msg = msg

def __str__(self):
return 'Foo: ' + self.msg

class Bar(Exception):
def __init__(self, msg):
self.msg = msg

def __str__(self):
return 'Bar: ' + self.msg

class A(Exception):
pass

class B(RuntimeError):
pass

class AFoo(A, Foo): pass
class ABar(A, Bar): pass

class BFoo(B, Foo): pass
class BBar(B, Bar): pass

print AFoo('ok') # ok
print ABar('ok') # Bar: ok

print BFoo('ok') # ok
print BBar('fail') # AttributeError: ... not attribute 'msg'

# EOF

After running the code I was still confused. So I read carefully again
the mro stuff. And ended doing this inheritance tree:

object (__init__, __str__)
| \
| Foo (__init__, __str__)

BaseException (__init__, __str__)

Exception (__init__)
/ | \
A | Bar (__init__, __str__)

StandardError (__init__)

RuntimeError (__init__)
/

Then I figure out the method resolution following the inheritance graph:
* AFoo(A, Foo):
__init__ from Exception
__str__ from BaseException

* ABar(A, Bar):
__init__ from Bar
__str__ from Bar

* BFoo(B, Foo):
__init__ from RuntimeError
__str__ from BaseException

* BBar(B, Bar):
__init__ from RuntimeError
__str__ from Bar

Finally everything make sense. And make think about be careful when
doing multiple inheritance.

Any thoughts?

~Rolando
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:42:28 -0400, Rolando Espinoza La Fuente wrote:

> TL;DR: if you want to stay sane, don't inherit two classes that share
> same inheritance graph
>
> I recently got puzzled by a bug from a legacy lib (ClientForm) which
> have this code:
[...]
> Finally everything make sense. And make think about be careful when
> doing multiple inheritance.
>
> Any thoughts?

Wow. Nice work, thanks for taking the time for documenting this publicly.

--
Steven
From: Benjamin Kaplan on
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Rolando Espinoza La Fuente
<darkrho(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> TL;DR: if you want to stay sane, don't inherit two classes that share
> same inheritance graph
>
> I recently got puzzled by a bug from a legacy lib (ClientForm)
> which have this code:
>
>    class ParseError(sgmllib.SGMLParseError,
>                     HTMLParser.HTMLParseError,
>                     ):
>        pass
>
> And fails because takes __init__ from sgmllib and __str__ from HTMLParser
> where __str__ uses attributes set by HTMLParser's init.
>
> At first look, I thought was just matter to swap the inherit classes.
> But a deeper
> look take me to the python's mro reading:
> http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.3/mro/
>
> And to reproduce the error I code this:
>
> class Foo(object):
>    def __init__(self, msg):
>        self.msg = msg
>
>    def __str__(self):
>        return 'Foo: ' + self.msg
>
> class Bar(Exception):
>    def __init__(self, msg):
>        self.msg = msg
>
>    def __str__(self):
>        return 'Bar: ' + self.msg
>
> class A(Exception):
>    pass
>
> class B(RuntimeError):
>    pass
>
> class AFoo(A, Foo): pass
> class ABar(A, Bar): pass
>
> class BFoo(B, Foo): pass
> class BBar(B, Bar): pass
>
> print AFoo('ok') # ok
> print ABar('ok') # Bar: ok
>
> print BFoo('ok') # ok
> print BBar('fail') # AttributeError: ... not attribute 'msg'
>
> # EOF
>
> After running the code I was still confused. So I read carefully again
> the mro stuff. And ended doing this inheritance tree:
>
>       object (__init__, __str__)
>          |    \
>          |    Foo (__init__, __str__)
>  BaseException (__init__, __str__)
>      Exception (__init__)
>     /    |     \
>    A    |     Bar (__init__, __str__)
>  StandardError (__init__)
>    RuntimeError (__init__)
>    /
>
> Then I figure out the method resolution following the inheritance graph:
>  * AFoo(A, Foo):
>    __init__ from Exception
>    __str__  from BaseException
>
>  * ABar(A, Bar):
>    __init__ from Bar
>    __str__  from Bar
>
>  * BFoo(B, Foo):
>    __init__ from RuntimeError
>    __str__  from BaseException
>
>  * BBar(B, Bar):
>    __init__ from RuntimeError
>    __str__  from Bar
>

> Finally everything make sense. And make think about be careful when
> doing multiple inheritance.
>
> Any thoughts?

Two things:

First of all, avoid multiple inheritance if you can. It's usually
unnecessary in Python because of duck typing (unless you need to
inherit the actual behavior and not just a list of methods), and as
you've noticed, the MRO gets messy.

And second, not to in any way diminish the work you did tracing out
the inheritance tree and working through the inheritance, but Python
has easier ways of doing it :)

>>> BBar.__mro__
(<class '__main__.BBar'>, <class '__main__.B'>, <type
'exceptions.RuntimeError'>, <type 'exceptions.StandardError'>, <class
'__main__.Bar'>, <type 'exceptions.Exception'>, <type
'exceptions.BaseException'>, <type 'object'>)
>>> '__str__' in BBar.__dict__
False
>>> '__str__' in Bar.__dict__
True
>>> for cls in BBar.__mro__ :
if '__str__' in cls.__dict__ :
print cls
break

<class '__main__.Bar'>

From: Rolando Espinoza La Fuente on
On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Benjamin Kaplan
<benjamin.kaplan(a)case.edu> wrote:
[...]
> And second, not to in any way diminish the work you did tracing out
> the inheritance tree and working through the inheritance, but Python
> has easier ways of doing it :)

> (<class '__main__.BBar'>, <class '__main__.B'>, <type
> 'exceptions.RuntimeError'>, <type 'exceptions.StandardError'>, <class
> '__main__.Bar'>, <type 'exceptions.Exception'>, <type
> 'exceptions.BaseException'>, <type 'object'>)

Yes, actually I looked at __mro__ to confirm that I was right.

> False
> True

I see! I couldn't figure out how to find if a method is defined within
given class.

>        if '__str__' in cls.__dict__ :
>                print cls
>                break
>

> <class '__main__.Bar'>

This is good one! It could save time figuring out where a method comes from..
Anyway, was a good exercise to figure out the mro by hand :)

Thanks for your comments Benjamin and Steven.

~Rolando
From: Michele Simionato on
On Jul 24, 4:42 am, Rolando Espinoza La Fuente <dark...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> Finally everything make sense. And make think about be careful when
> doing multiple inheritance.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> ~Rolando

I am not fond of multiple inheritance either and I wrote at length
about the dangers of it. If you do not know it already, you may be
interested in reading my "Mixins considered harmful" series
http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=246341 (together
with any blog posts on super and related subjects).