From: bbxrider on
i think this falls under iis for not having asp setup right but if this is
not an appropriate
forum and there is a better one, please let me know, i have tried asp forum
but no repsonse there

the script in question runs ok on a sbs2000 and a hosted website machine
i'm trying to run it on xp pro iis5.1, this plain asp, not asp.net
i get the error in 2 places.

-for a cdo.message when issuing the .send
Set objMessage = server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
set up message .......
objMessage.Send

-opening a .mdb
set cn=server.createobject("adodb.connection")
cn.open strDbConnection

supposedly server.createObject (vs createObject) will invoke MTS and logs
errors
in the event log, but i don't have any errors, just those thrown from the
script.
i can at least open the .mdb with a vb6.0 program, so the adodb in that
respect is working

any suggestions from iis guru's ?
thanks, bob

From: Anthony Jones on
"bbxrider" <bxtrap01(a)job1data.com> wrote in message
>i think this falls under iis for not having asp setup right but if this is
>not an appropriate
> forum and there is a better one, please let me know, i have tried asp
> forum but no repsonse there
>
> the script in question runs ok on a sbs2000 and a hosted website machine
> i'm trying to run it on xp pro iis5.1, this plain asp, not asp.net
> i get the error in 2 places.
>
> -for a cdo.message when issuing the .send
> Set objMessage = server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
> set up message .......
> objMessage.Send
>
> -opening a .mdb
> set cn=server.createobject("adodb.connection")
> cn.open strDbConnection
>
> supposedly server.createObject (vs createObject) will invoke MTS and logs
> errors
> in the event log, but i don't have any errors, just those thrown from the
> script.
> i can at least open the .mdb with a vb6.0 program, so the adodb in that
> respect is working

Does the IUSR_ account on the XP machine have read write access to the file
that he connection string points to?

Is the MDB file held locally on the XP?

I'm not sure what MTS and the transaction context has to do with this? Have
you marked you page to start a transaction context?

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

From: bbxrider on
thanks for your reply

> Does the IUSR_ account on the XP machine have read write access to the
> file that he connection string points to?
yes, the iuser acct has read+write for the file and the file's folder. i
even experimented with 'full control' just to eliminate
any permissions issue, like if it needed modify since i'm adding rows to a
table

> Is the MDB file held locally on the XP?
not sure what held locally means, the file does physically reside on the
server machine

> I'm not sure what MTS and the transaction context has to do with this?
> Have you marked you page to start a transaction context?
no i haven't marked a page, MTS is completely new to me
for MTS, i read an article which talked about (i've been to so many links i
can't find it right now)
using server.create (i believe it invokes MTS) vs create to log errors, so
thought i'd try it to see if anything helpful showed up.
it also talked about performance issues of the 2 options, but that is not my
concern for this application