From: LVTravel on

"John Wunderlich" <jwunderlich(a)lycos.com> wrote in message
> "LVTravel" <noone(a)none.com> wrote in
>

>> "John Wunderlich" <jwunderlich(a)lycos.com> wrote in message
>>> proteanthread <rtdos(a)rtdos.com> wrote in
>>> f850c51f86f6(a)z35g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

>>> Yes.
>>> After inserting your USB Drive, use DiskManager to change the
>>> drive letter for that drive to something compatible with your
>>> configuration.
>>>
>>> Start->Run->"diskmgmt.msc"
>>>
>>> Then right-click on USB drive and select "Change Drive
>>> Letter..."
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> John
>>
>> John, you are correct that this is the way to change a drive
>> letter but it doesn't help the OP in that this would have to be
>> accomplished for any new USB device plugged in each time and even
>> for the same device when plugged into another port on the same
>> computer.
>>
>> The best fix is to map network drives high in the alphabet and let
>> the USB drives choose letters in the lower alphabet. I always map
>> my network drives starting at Z or Y (depending on my
>> rebuild/restore partition's drive letter) and work backward.
>>

> Yes, that's the best way to make sure it doesn't happen.
>
> I guess I should have asked whether SP3 is installed because
> according to:
> "List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480>
>
> XP3 includes a fix for the following:
>
> "New drive or mapped network drive not available in Windows Explorer"
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297694/>
> (which includes a Hotfix for SP2 systems and includes your solution
> as a work-around)
>
> ... although I've heard that under some scenarios the fix doesn't
> work.
>
> -- John

My XP SP3 laptop has all the current "fixes" and it still won't always
"remember" the location of a USB drive when plugged in, especially when the
USB device is plugged into a slot with another device already plugged in,
whether or not the other device is taking the first device's drive letter.
In other words device 1 is usually assigned letter G:. Plug in device 2 and
it uses letter E: then plug in device 1 it may get letter D:, F, G:, or even
higher (my DVD drive is always assigned letter R: when I first set up the
computer.) Haven't seen any posts on that and it really doesn't bother me
as I know how to adjust.

From: smlunatick on
On Mar 25, 2:25 pm, "LVTravel" <no...(a)none.com> wrote:
> "John Wunderlich" <jwunderl...(a)lycos.com> wrote in message

> > "LVTravel" <no...(a)none.com> wrote in
>
> >> "John Wunderlich" <jwunderl...(a)lycos.com> wrote in message

> >> John, you are correct that this is the way to change a drive
> >> letter but it doesn't help the OP in that this would have to be
> >> accomplished for any new USB device plugged in each time and even
> >> for the same device when plugged into another port on the same
> >> computer.
>
> >> The best fix is to map network drives high in the alphabet and let
> >> the USB drives choose letters in the lower alphabet.  I always map
> >> my network drives starting at Z or Y (depending on my
> >> rebuild/restore partition's drive letter) and work backward.
>
> > Yes, that's the best way to make sure it doesn't happen.
>
> > I guess I should have asked whether SP3 is installed because
> > according to:
> > "List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> >   <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480>
>
> > XP3 includes a fix for the following:
>
> > "New drive or mapped network drive not available in Windows Explorer"
> >  <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297694/>
> > (which includes a Hotfix for SP2 systems and includes your solution
> > as a work-around)
>
> > ... although I've heard that under some scenarios the fix doesn't
> > work.
>
> > -- John
>
> My XP SP3 laptop has all the current "fixes" and it still won't always
> "remember" the location of a USB drive when plugged in, especially when the
> USB device is plugged into a slot with another device already plugged in,
> whether or not the other device is taking the first device's drive letter..
> In other words device 1 is usually assigned letter G:.  Plug in device 2 and
> it uses letter E: then plug in device 1 it may get letter D:, F, G:, or even
> higher (my DVD drive is always assigned letter R: when I first set up the
> computer.)  Haven't seen any posts on that and it really doesn't bother me
> as I know how to adjust.

Consider looking at USBDLM.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html
From: LVTravel on

"smlunatick" <yveslec(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mar 25, 2:25 pm, "LVTravel" <no...(a)none.com> wrote:
>> "John Wunderlich" <jwunderl...(a)lycos.com> wrote in message

>> > "LVTravel" <no...(a)none.com> wrote in

>> > Yes, that's the best way to make sure it doesn't happen.
>>
>> > I guess I should have asked whether SP3 is installed because
>> > according to:
>> > "List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>> > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480>
>>
>> > XP3 includes a fix for the following:
>>
>> > "New drive or mapped network drive not available in Windows Explorer"
>> > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297694/>
>> > (which includes a Hotfix for SP2 systems and includes your solution
>> > as a work-around)
>>
>> > ... although I've heard that under some scenarios the fix doesn't
>> > work.
>>
>> > -- John
>>
>> My XP SP3 laptop has all the current "fixes" and it still won't always
>> "remember" the location of a USB drive when plugged in, especially when
>> the
>> USB device is plugged into a slot with another device already plugged in,
>> whether or not the other device is taking the first device's drive
>> letter.
>> In other words device 1 is usually assigned letter G:. Plug in device 2
>> and
>> it uses letter E: then plug in device 1 it may get letter D:, F, G:, or
>> even
>> higher (my DVD drive is always assigned letter R: when I first set up the
>> computer.) Haven't seen any posts on that and it really doesn't bother me
>> as I know how to adjust.
>
> Consider looking at USBDLM.
>
> http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Thanks for posting this. I knew it existed but didn't remember what it was
called or who had it. I won't need to use it but I know a few that can.
Thanks again.,