From: Benjamin Hell on
Hi,
let's say I have defined the following function:
f[x_?Positive] = x
Now I want to evaluate f with a variable t:
f[t]
As mathematica knows nothing about t, the output is f[t] instead of t.

How can I tell mathematica, that t should be a positive number so that
Positive[t] evaluates true and then f[t] evaluates to t?
Of course this is just an example, which should present what I would
like to know.

Thanks in advance.

From: Leonid Shifrin on
Hi Benjamin,

You can use UpValues to accomplish your goal:

In[1]:=
Clear[f];
f[x_?Positive] = x

Out[2]= x

In[3]:=
Clear[t];
t /: Positive[t] = True

Out[4]= True

In[5]:= f[t]

Out[5]= t

You can look up the definition and properties of UpValues in the
documentation.
The assignment operator used above is called TagSet, you may also want to
look at UpSet, which is a bit more narrow (specifically for defining
UpValues).

Regards,
Leonid

From: Murray Eisenberg on
But once you put the restriction on the argument of f, you've told
Mathematica not to carry out the evaluation of f unless the input
supplied is actually positive.

If now t is just a symbol, then it is not positive (and not negative,
either) -- it's just a symbol. So why would you expect to be able to
tell Mathematica that it's positive? In general, Mathematica variables
don't really have types.

If it's just the particular symbol t that you want to supply to f, then
you could do this (I'm changing your function definition for clarity) --
not that you probably want SetDelayed (:=) instead of Set (=):

f[x_?Positive] := x^2
f[t] = t^2;

f[3]
9
f[t]
t^2
t = -5;
f[t]
f[-5]

--
Murray Eisenberg murray(a)math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.

From: Bill Rowe on
On 7/31/10 at 2:40 AM, hell(a)exoneon.de (Benjamin Hell) wrote:

>let's say I have defined the following function: f[x_?Positive] = x
>Now I want to evaluate f with a variable t: f[t] As mathematica
>knows nothing about t, the output is f[t] instead of t.

>How can I tell mathematica, that t should be a positive number so
>that Positive[t] evaluates true and then f[t] evaluates to t?

Basically, you can't unless you assign a positive value to t.

The pattern _?PositiveQ only matches positive numbers. A
variable with no assigned values will not match this pattern. If
you want your function to evaluate to a symbolic expression
given variables with no assigned values as arguments, you cannot
use a pattern that places restrictions on the arguments those
variables are used for. Such restrictive patterns will always
fail to match a variable with no assigned values. Consequently,
Mathematica will always return the function unevaluated.

From: Christoph Lhotka on
On 01/08/2010 10:58, Bill Rowe wrote:
> On 7/31/10 at 2:40 AM, hell(a)exoneon.de (Benjamin Hell) wrote:
>

>> let's say I have defined the following function: f[x_?Positive] = x
>> Now I want to evaluate f with a variable t: f[t] As mathematica
>> knows nothing about t, the output is f[t] instead of t.
>>

>> How can I tell mathematica, that t should be a positive number so
>> that Positive[t] evaluates true and then f[t] evaluates to t?
>>
> Basically, you can't unless you assign a positive value to t.
>
> The pattern _?PositiveQ only matches positive numbers. A
> variable with no assigned values will not match this pattern. If
> you want your function to evaluate to a symbolic expression
> given variables with no assigned values as arguments, you cannot
> use a pattern that places restrictions on the arguments those
> variables are used for. Such restrictive patterns will always
> fail to match a variable with no assigned values. Consequently,
> Mathematica will always return the function unevaluated

hello,

I do not agree on that point, saying that one has to assign a value to t
to make the function f work:

f[t_] := If[MemberQ[{$Assumptions}, t > 0], t, -t]

Assuming[t > 0, f[t]]

which will return t, if t is assumed to be positive and -t otherwise.

best regards,

Christoph