From: Jon Harrop on
I have an 8-core desktop composed of two quadcore Xeons. Whenever I try to
run parallel Mathematica 7.0.1 code it tries to spawn 8 kernels and then
four of them die, resulting in lots of communication errors. Is this normal?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com

From: Zach Bjornson on
Do you have a proper license for 8 kernels? The normal home(?) license is only
for four kernels; this may be Mathematica's way of saying you can only use
four. Just a guess.

From: Jon Harrop on
I only have a license for 4 kernels but I'd expect Mathematica to tell me that
rather than spew out pages of errors every time I try to use parallelism. I
just wanted to check that everyone else was seeing the same behaviour.

Cheers,
Jon.

From: Peter Pein on
Am Mon, 2 Aug 2010 11:06:33 +0000 (UTC)
schrieb "Jon Harrop" <usenet(a)ffconsultancy.com>:

> I only have a license for 4 kernels but I'd expect Mathematica to
> tell me that rather than spew out pages of errors every time I try to
> use parallelism. ...

And going via menu "Evaluation" -> "Parallel Kernel Configuration" to
the kernel-conf.-dialog, choosing "Manual" and "4" didn't help?

Then I'd call it a bug.

Peter

From: bbeckage on
I had a similar problem on an 8 kernel machine (with 8 licenses for Mathematica). I worked with Wolfram support with respect to this problem, but the problem does not appear to have been solved yet...

Best wishes,
Brian