From: rsink on
Anyone know if this atheros wifi driver works out of the box? On one of
my three 11.2's needing it it doesn't. Even tried the wireless-org
method and that only hangs the system.

I also want to take my desktop to usb-wlan even if it's only /g, is
there a single usb dongle sure to work with a SMC /n router, or any
similar router?

From: Malcolm on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:13:41 -0400
rsink <rsink@_INVALID_no.org> wrote:

> Anyone know if this atheros wifi driver works out of the box? On one
> of my three 11.2's needing it it doesn't. Even tried the wireless-org
> method and that only hangs the system.
>
> I also want to take my desktop to usb-wlan even if it's only /g, is
> there a single usb dongle sure to work with a SMC /n router, or any
> similar router?

Hi
Works fine here on this netbook with openSUSE 11.3 RC1;

01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless
Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
Subsystem: Device 1a3b:1067
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
Kernel modules: ath9k

Maybe google on your Device code, else have a look through the openSUSE
forum there are some stickies about wireless (you can access via nntp
as well).

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (i586) Kernel 2.6.32.12-0.7-pae

From: rsink on
On 06/30/2010 09:39 AM, Malcolm wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:13:41 -0400
> rsink<rsink@_INVALID_no.org> wrote:
>
>> Anyone know if this atheros wifi driver works out of the box? On one
>> of my three 11.2's needing it it doesn't. Even tried the wireless-org
>> method and that only hangs the system.
>>
>> I also want to take my desktop to usb-wlan even if it's only /g, is
>> there a single usb dongle sure to work with a SMC /n router, or any
>> similar router?
>>
> Hi
> Works fine here on this netbook with openSUSE 11.3 RC1;
>
> 01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless
> Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
> Subsystem: Device 1a3b:1067
> Kernel driver in use: ath9k
> Kernel modules: ath9k

Great!!!

I need it for an AR2427 that Debian's been using the ath9k driver for.

> Maybe google on your Device code, else have a look through the openSUSE
> forum there are some stickies about wireless (you can access via nntp
> as well).

The current rework includes my desktop going wlan but since I don't
wanna see any wireless that cannot be manually/physically and quickly
disconnected I don't want a pci card, only a usb dongle and they're the
hardest to run under linux I find.

The SMC buscard wifi that came with my router has always worked very
well with linux on any laptop with a slot using the forcedeth driver.
The netbook has an internal one with a switch. I could get a buscard
adaptor for the desktop either directly on a pci card (too far around
the box) or as a pci card with the adaptor itself wired to the front
into a floppy bay. However as buscards are on the way out a usb stick
would be ideal.

From: Ulick Magee on
rsink wrote:

> I did the compat wireless thing "compat-wireless-2010-06-27".

Why?

All kernels >= 2.6.27 have ath9k built in.
Provided your wireless chipset is on the supported list
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k#supported_chipsets
it should work as soon as you configure it in Network Devices in Yast
(or use Network Manager to do it)

AR2427 doesn't have 802.11n support according to the website, but that
might not bother you too much.

I used to have to compile MadWifi to get my wireless to work, and
re-compile it on every kernel update, on 10.3 and 11.0. But on 11.1, the
first version with an ath9k kernel, the wireless "just worked" (tm)

> 00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family)
> USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:27c8] (rev 02)
> Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Dev
> Kernel driver in use: ath9k

That doesn't show the chipset.
Just to verify the wireless chipset, run this as root and post the
output here:

hwinfo --wlan

--

Ulick Magee

Free software and free formats for free information for free people.
Open Office for Windows/OSX/Linux: http://www.openoffice.org
openSUSE Linux: http://en.opensuse.org
From: rsink on
On 07/01/2010 03:29 PM, Ulick Magee wrote:
> rsink wrote:
>>
>> I did the compat wireless thing "compat-wireless-2010-06-27".
>
> Why?
>
> All kernels>= 2.6.27 have ath9k built in.
> Provided your wireless chipset is on the supported list
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k#supported_chipsets
> it should work as soon as you configure it in Network Devices in Yast
> (or use Network Manager to do it)
>
> AR2427 doesn't have 802.11n support according to the website, but that
> might not bother you too much.

I'll use what I works, my net connection is 10 B/s average :-)

> I used to have to compile MadWifi to get my wireless to work, and
> re-compile it on every kernel update, on 10.3 and 11.0. But on 11.1, the
> first version with an ath9k kernel, the wireless "just worked" (tm)

The ath9k is supposed to be in the kernel (though getting it out of
there manually is over my head). As it has progressed it is supposed to
be able to handle an increasing spectrum of ath. chipsets or that's how
I understand it. The problem seems to be that the need for it isn't
detected. Now that I compiled one it locks me up.

>> 00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family)
>> USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:27c8] (rev 02)
>> Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Dev
>> Kernel driver in use: ath9k

> That doesn't show the chipset.
> Just to verify the wireless chipset, run this as root and post the
> output here:

> hwinfo --wlan

Be glad to:

This shows ath9k as driver but is that tied to the chipset or is it the
result of me having compiled and loaded that module? And which number
is supposed to show the chipset?

Thanks!

# hwinfo --wlan

17: PCI 200.0: 0282 WLAN controller
[Created at pci.318]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_168c_2c
Unique ID: y9sn.NzPQ2wQROeF
Parent ID: qTvu.bQ30eTbcr+3
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:02:00.0
Hardware Class: network
Model: "Atheros WLAN controller"
Vendor: pci 0x168c "Atheros Communications Inc."
Device: pci 0x002c
SubVendor: pci 0x1a3b
SubDevice: pci 0x1112
Revision: 0x01
Driver: "ath9k"
Driver Modules: "ath9k"
Device File: wlan0
Features: WLAN
Memory Range: 0xfbff0000-0xfbffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
IRQ: 17 (no events)
HW Address: 00:25:d3:d5:d5:73
Link detected: yes
WLAN channels: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
WLAN frequencies: 2.412 2.417 2.422 2.427 2.432 2.437 2.442 2.447
2.452 2.457 2.462 2.467 2.472 2.484
WLAN encryption modes: WEP40 WEP104 TKIP CCMP

WLAN authentication modes: open sharedkey wpa-psk wpa-eap
Module Alias: "pci:v0000168Cd0000002Csv00001A3Bsd00001112bc02sc80i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: ath9k is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe ath9k"
Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #6 (PCI bridge)

#