From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 22:23 -0400, David McGlone wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 April 2010 16:55:45 Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 16:33 -0400, David McGlone wrote:
> > > Hi everyone.
> > >
> > > I got a quickie LOL
> > >
> > > is there a way to auto indent code. I'm using Kate and I have it set so
> > > the tab is only 4 spaces, but I was wondering if there was an easier way
> > > than to have to hit the tab key 1x then 2x then 3x then 2x then 1x to
> > > create nice laid out code like this:
> > >
> > > -----
> > > -----
> > > -----
> > > -----
> > > -----
> > > -----
> > > -----
> > > -----
> > > -----
> > >
> > > or:
> > >
> > > function() {
> > >
> > > function here
> > > }
> >
> > I use Kate too, and the indentation changed slightly in KDE 4. In the
> > configure dialogue window, go down to the Editing section in the left
> > menu and set the number of spaces to use in both the General tab (under
> > Tabulators) and the Indentation tab (under Indentation Properties. If
> > they are both different then you have to hit the tab key 4 times in
> > order for your spaces to be replaced by a tab character.
>
> Thanks Ash. What is your preferences for indenting code? Do you have it set
> so you don't have to hit the tab key at all? I set my numbers in kate to 4
> what about you?
>
> --
> Blessings,
> David M.

I set it to use tabs of 4 spaces wide and use c-style indenting. It
doesn't automatically indent as I write, but I find it a good thing that
an editor doesn't change anything I write, as that is where problems can
occur! I'm quite a fan of the Allman style of indenting, and Kate is
able to line up the closing brackets for functions, etc if I type them
out of position.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 23:25 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:29:33PM -0400, David McGlone wrote:

> > > I use PHPEclipse for this. It's not Eclipse with PDT, it's PHP Eclipse:
> > >
> > > http://www.phpeclipse.com/
> > >
> > > The code formatter built into that formats my code when I hit
> > > Ctrl+Shift+F. No other code formatter works as well for what I've
> > > found. Many formatters just indent, this one will reformatt by putting
> > > brackets up or down, and reindent all the code to fit my coding standards.
> > >
> > > Project is getting a little old, though and doesn't yet support PHP 5.3
> > > syntax, but it's still the best I've found.
> >
> > I haven't tried this one. I am just so stuck on Kate. I've tried a ton of
> > editors and Kate is simply the best one for me hands down.
>
> I have to say, back in the day when I used a GUI editor, Kate was the
> best I found.
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul M. Foster

It has the useful ability to split the screen into as many parts and
have different documents open in each one, and sessions that you can use
to save the split screen layout and all the documents you had open. It
doesn't have true code completion, it just auto hints based on what has
already been typed into the current document. The spellchecker is useful
too, but it isn't code-aware, so keeps suggesting the 'correct' spelling
for function names!

I do love it though. I've been using KDE for years too, the interface
just seems more modern and intuitive than on Gnome, although I might
give Gnome 3 a whirl when that gets released.

From: "Gary ." on
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM, David McGlone wrote:
> I'm using Kate

Since you've already had a suggestion to switch to Eclipse, I'll say
(+ emacs php-mode
(+ '"(define-key php-mode-map (kbd "RET") 'newline-and-indent)"))

Or something like that.
From: David McGlone on
On Wednesday 28 April 2010 05:00:34 Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 23:25 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:

> > > I haven't tried this one. I am just so stuck on Kate. I've tried a ton
> > > of editors and Kate is simply the best one for me hands down.
> >
> > I have to say, back in the day when I used a GUI editor, Kate was the
> > best I found.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > --
> > Paul M. Foster
>
> It has the useful ability to split the screen into as many parts and
> have different documents open in each one, and sessions that you can use
> to save the split screen layout and all the documents you had open. It
> doesn't have true code completion, it just auto hints based on what has
> already been typed into the current document. The spellchecker is useful
> too, but it isn't code-aware, so keeps suggesting the 'correct' spelling
> for function names!
>
> I do love it though. I've been using KDE for years too, the interface
> just seems more modern and intuitive than on Gnome, although I might
> give Gnome 3 a whirl when that gets released.

I installed as a promise to a friend that I would give it an honest try and
it's been about a year since.

The thing I like the most about it is on a fresh install it only installs the
absolute necessities and the user can build onto that. I also found that totem
works much better than kaffeine and as far as Amarok vs Rhythmbox I don't
notice anything that stands out between the 2 and they both work equally well.

All in all, what I like about Gnome is that the developers seem to stick to
the the KISS principle, starting with a Pinto and giving you the option to
build a customized Porsche.

--
Blessings,
David M.
From: Paul M Foster on
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 09:52:16AM +0100, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

<snip>

> I set it to use tabs of 4 spaces wide and use c-style indenting. It
> doesn't automatically indent as I write, but I find it a good thing that
> an editor doesn't change anything I write, as that is where problems can
> occur!

<snip>

I've had this behavior with most every editor I've had. I lived with it.
However, when I went to vim, I found out that it will automatically
indent braces and code properly. I thought, "Gee, that's nice. Save me
some work". But as it turns out, it's saved me a lot of debug time. When
the indenting goes wonky in vim, I know I've failed to close a brace
somewhere, or put too many in. It has about the same benefit to me as
syntax highlighting (which ensures I don't misspell key words).

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster