From: David McGlone on
Hi everyone.

I got a quickie LOL

is there a way to auto indent code. I'm using Kate and I have it set so the
tab is only 4 spaces, but I was wondering if there was an easier way than to
have to hit the tab key 1x then 2x then 3x then 2x then 1x to create nice laid
out code like this:

-----
-----
-----
-----
-----
-----
-----
-----
-----

or:

function() {

function here
}

--
Blessings,
David M.
From: shiplu on
There is a command "indent" in your kde.
Check the manual

Shiplu Mokaddim
My talks, http://talk.cmyweb.net
Follow me, http://twitter.com/shiplu
SUST Programmers, http://groups.google.com/group/p2psust
Innovation distinguishes bet ... ... (ask Steve Jobs the rest)
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 16:33 -0400, David McGlone wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I got a quickie LOL
>
> is there a way to auto indent code. I'm using Kate and I have it set so the
> tab is only 4 spaces, but I was wondering if there was an easier way than to
> have to hit the tab key 1x then 2x then 3x then 2x then 1x to create nice laid
> out code like this:
>
> -----
> -----
> -----
> -----
> -----
> -----
> -----
> -----
> -----
>
> or:
>
> function() {
>
> function here
> }
>
> --
> Blessings,
> David M.

I use Kate too, and the indentation changed slightly in KDE 4. In the
configure dialogue window, go down to the Editing section in the left
menu and set the number of spaces to use in both the General tab (under
Tabulators) and the Indentation tab (under Indentation Properties. If
they are both different then you have to hit the tab key 4 times in
order for your spaces to be replaced by a tab character.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: "D. Dante Lorenso" on
On 4/27/2010 3:55 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 16:33 -0400, David McGlone wrote:
>> Hi everyone.
>> I got a quickie LOL
>> is there a way to auto indent code. I'm using Kate and I have it set so the
>> tab is only 4 spaces, but I was wondering if there was an easier way than to
>> have to hit the tab key 1x then 2x then 3x then 2x then 1x to create nice laid
>> out code like this:

I use PHPEclipse for this. It's not Eclipse with PDT, it's PHP Eclipse:

http://www.phpeclipse.com/

The code formatter built into that formats my code when I hit
Ctrl+Shift+F. No other code formatter works as well for what I've
found. Many formatters just indent, this one will reformatt by putting
brackets up or down, and reindent all the code to fit my coding standards.

Project is getting a little old, though and doesn't yet support PHP 5.3
syntax, but it's still the best I've found.

-- Dante

----------
D. Dante Lorenso
dante(a)lorenso.com
972-333-4139
From: Programming Guides on
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:00 PM, D. Dante Lorenso <dante(a)lorenso.com> wrote:

> On 4/27/2010 3:55 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 16:33 -0400, David McGlone wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone.
>>> I got a quickie LOL
>>> is there a way to auto indent code. I'm using Kate and I have it set so
>>> the
>>> tab is only 4 spaces, but I was wondering if there was an easier way than
>>> have to hit the tab key 1x then 2x then 3x then 2x then 1x to create nice
>>> laid
>>> out code like this:
>>>

> I use PHPEclipse for this. It's not Eclipse with PDT, it's PHP Eclipse:
>
> http://www.phpeclipse.com/
>
> The code formatter built into that formats my code when I hit Ctrl+Shift+F.
> No other code formatter works as well for what I've found. Many formatters
> just indent, this one will reformatt by putting brackets up or down, and
> reindent all the code to fit my coding standards.
>
> Project is getting a little old, though and doesn't yet support PHP 5.3
> syntax, but it's still the best I've found.
>
> -- Dante

vim ftw:

1. select the piece of code you want to indent (or select all with "ggVG")
2. Hit =
3. profit!

--
http://programming-guides.com