From: DP_in_IT on
I have all of my WinXP computers set to automatically download and install
updates every night. A few of them complete this task regularly. But many
of the computers will not download and install the updates even though I
check manually and there are several critical updates available. All of the
users here are administrators at the pc level so it shouldn't be because of
that. Any ideas on why some are updating and others are not?
--
DP
From: PA Bear on
How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

4. Windows Update Checklist:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

Also see:

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525

How to schedule automatic updates in WinXP, Win2K and Win2K03
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=327838
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

DP_in_IT wrote:
> I have all of my WinXP computers set to automatically download and install
> updates every night. A few of them complete this task regularly. But many
> of the computers will not download and install the updates even though I
> check manually and there are several critical updates available. All of the
> users here are administrators at the pc level so it shouldn't be because of
> that. Any ideas on why some are updating and others are not?

Pages: 1
Prev: Windows Upate
Next: Windows Update