From: Ronpaul53 on
Automatic updates in windows 2000 service pack 4 fully up to date. Under
services.msc Automatic Updates will not stay on automatic after restart or
log off goes back to disabled. checked everything that i can see have even
compared registry with my laptop under svchost search. Can anyone suggest
anything as it is beggining to bug me.
From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Was the system ever on a network ? An existing Group Policy may be
causing the behavior if it was.
If it wasn't, go to Start > Run, copy and paste this into the Open:with
window -

%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
AutoUpdate 132 %SystemRoot%\inf\au.inf

Click OK
You may be prompted for the Win 2K CD. If files are requested that are
not on the CD, browse to the WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder.
Restart the system when done.
Did that resolve the issue ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2006]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: Ronpaul53 on
Thanks MowGreen, Service was changed to automatic after running your
suggestion, unfortunately after a restart went back to disabled, I am on a
Home network but nothing has changed and in fact did a clean install (for
other reasons) only a few days ago.

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Check the System event log for any errors from Automatic Update Agent or
something similar.
Go to Start, Run, type in

eventvwr.msc

Click OK
If you locate any error with the Source being the Windows Update Agent
or Automatic Update, double click it.
I'm not that familiar with Win 2K, but in XP there is a file icon just
under the up and down arrows. If one clicks that, then the error is
copied to the Clipboard.
Paste the error into your reply so we can see what's up.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2006]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: Ronpaul53 on
I have no errors for update apart from one failure to update other than one
security update, that was on 30/06/2006 (installation) however I have a lot
of NetBT which is the only error could possibly be associated with problem,
so have attached copy of error log entry.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NetBT
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4311
Date: 09/07/2006
Time: 14:19:34
User: N/A
Computer: TYSON
Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created.
Data:
0000: 00 00 04 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 d7 10 00 c0 ......
0010: 11 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........