From: mcwin on
Excel 2003

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can help me with a macro (or other
technique) that will automatically insert an autoshape only once a cell is
populated. Also, whether the attributes of that autoshape can be determined
by what is entered in other cells.

I am trying to develop a visual representation of all our project teams,
based on the DV0039 - Seating Plan idea found at contextures:

I like this visual of representing project teams as small circles (oval
autoshape) seated around a table (large oval). However, beyond just linking
the autoshape to the cell (and thus displaying the cells' contents in the
autoshape), I'd prefer it if the small ovals didn't appear around the table
until/unless the cell was filled in. This way, I could show various sizes of
project teams without having empty seats, so to speak. Ideally, a project
team of 3 people would be represented by a large oval(table) with 3 small
ovals (team members), while a team of 10 people would be represented by a
large oval with 10 small ovals. Each table and seats are custom-built by an
accompanying data table listing the project name and team members.

Additionally, it would be great if the size of the large oval could be
determined by the size/scope of the project, which is defined in another cell
(kind of like a bubble chart); and if the color of the small ovals could be
determined by the attributes/role of the team members (also defined in the
table).

I'd sincerely appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks.