From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Ivan Marsh wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:04:29 -0400, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>
>> Dave Uhring wrote:

>>> If not in a file then where? RFC4252 states that public key
>>> authentication is *required* in any SSH implementation and that key
>>> must be kept someplace.
>>>
>>> I suppose that Cisco could, at least theoretically, keep the public key
>>> stored in a condom attached to an RJ45 port : >
>> The last time I looked, routers did not come equipped with disk drives!
>> No file system! Or, at least, none in the usual sense of the
>> expression. It does have flash PROM, NVRAM, or some reasonable
>> facsimile where it can store things like passwords and public or private
>> keys, configuration info, etc. I think floppy disks have more storage!!
>
> My routers have considerably more storage space than a floppy.
>
> PCMCIA Filesystem Compatibility Matrix and Filesystem Information
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_tech_note09186a00800a7515.shtml

Checking the link shows that Cisco uses the expression "file systems" in
discussing their routers. Prices being what they are, the ONLY Cisco
router that I have any experience with is a CMP2A. It appears to have
been designed for broadband cable on the WAN side and Ethernet on the
LAN side. I salvaged it from a trash can. I have been unable to find
ANY documentation for this beast.

I found some general instructions for "password recovery" that allowed
me to break into it. I haven't seen anything resembling a "file system"
on this one but perhaps I just don't know what to look for!
From: Tilman Schmidt on
Dave Uhring schrieb:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:16:07 +0200, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
>> Dave Uhring schrieb:
>
>>> LOL! The authors of RFC4252, The Secure Shell (SSH) Authentication
>>> Protocol, which *mandates* public key authentication are T. Ylonen of SSH
>>> Communications Security Corp and C. Lonvick, Ed. of Cisco Systems, Inc.
>
>> OTOH, RFC4252 is only a bit over two years old, so perhaps there's still
>> hope.
>
> Curiously neither Theo deRaadt's name nor any other name from the OpenBSD
> project appears in those documents.

Not sure why the OpenBSD team should be particularly predestined to
participate in the standardisation of ssh?

> Is this another OOXML-like attempt at
> establishing a single provider standard?

The hallmark of a good conspiracy theory is that it can be neither
proved nor disproved.

HTH
T.
From: Dave Uhring on
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:26:50 +0200, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> Dave Uhring schrieb:

>> Curiously neither Theo deRaadt's name nor any other name from the OpenBSD
>> project appears in those documents.
>
> Not sure why the OpenBSD team should be particularly predestined to
> participate in the standardisation of ssh?

Arguably, their version of ssh is the one most widely adopted,
particularly in the Linux and BSD distributions. Solaris itself uses a
slightly modified version of OpenBSD's ssh.

[duhring(a)einstein ~]$ what /usr/lib/ssh/sshd | grep OpenBSD | wc -l
61

From: BertieBigBollox on
On Apr 18, 4:38 pm, Tilman Schmidt <ts-usenet0...(a)pxnet.com> wrote:
> Dave Uhring schrieb:
>
> > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 02:16:35 -0700, BertieBigBol...(a)gmail.com wrote:
>
> >> Just noticed - this isnt going to work, is it? You need to send the
> >> authorised key to the router in question.
>
> >> The router in question is a cisco device, so I dont know how to do
> >> this...
>
> > If you can ssh into the router you can use scp to send the key.
>
> Heh, no. Not if the router runs something non-unixoid like, say ... Cisco IOS.
> See:
>
> ts(a)r2d2:~> ssh gw1 show session
> ts(a)gw1's password:
> % No connections opents(a)r2d2:~>
> ts(a)r2d2:~> scp ~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub gw1:.ssh/authorized_keys
> ts(a)gw1's password:
>
> ts(a)r2d2:~> ssh gw1 show session
> ts(a)gw1's password:
> % No connections opents(a)r2d2:~>
>
> The scp command does nothing, it just terminates immediately (as can be seen
> from the lack of the progress line), and the router still asks for my
> password afterwards.

Yes, my point exactly. The Cisco box does not have a file system to
SCP a file to anyway? Its not UNIX or anything similar - its Cisco
IOS....
From: BertieBigBollox on
On Apr 19, 3:04 am, Tilman Schmidt <ts-usenet0...(a)pxnet.com> wrote:
> Greg Andrews schrieb:
>
> > Cisco very likely has a method to store the public key for an account
> > to allow non-password logins.  It's probably not adding the key text
> > to a file in a subdirectory, but something else.
>
> Sorry to disappoint you but no. Cisco does not support public key
> authentication for ssh, period.
>
> > Has anyone consulted the Cisco documentation yet?  (I don't have them
> > in front of me at the moment)
>
> Yes, indeed I have.

OK. Thats that then....
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: nat problem
Next: Logging issue in CiscoSecure ACS 4.2