From: Patrick D. on
Hi

I would like to autostart a website on my Window Server 2008 R2 (IIS 7.5) as
soon as the OS is up and running.
Is this possible?

Patrick
From: Brian Cryer on
"Patrick D." <PatrickD(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I would like to autostart a website on my Window Server 2008 R2 (IIS 7.5)
> as
> soon as the OS is up and running.
> Is this possible?

I wasn't aware that you could stop a website from being available as soon as
the OS is up and running. That said, I suppose you could change the start-up
type on the IIS service but otherwise I would expect all your websites to be
available very quickly after a reboot.

Are you having a problem with a website not starting? If so then the first
place to look might be in the event logs.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

From: Patrick D. on
Hi Brian

Thanks for your answer.
Let me state my need more precisely:

I'd like to autoload into memory a website, as soon as IIS is running after
bootup.
After this the website should be visible more quickly for the first
website-visitors.
Is this possible in IIS 7.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2?

Patrick

From: Brian Cryer on
Presumably you are after eliminating the delay you first get with a .NET
application when it does some on-demand compilation the first time the site
is requested?

If so, then no, I don't know of a native way of doing this on 2008.

Would a means of generating an HTTP request satisfy the requirement? You
could put a task on the schedular to run as soon as the computer starts
which could generate an HTTP request to "wake-up" the website. (Although
clearly there would be a race condition between the tas-scheduler and IIS.)
Something like cryping (google for it) might do the job, although it only
does an HTTP header request - perhaps something like
cryping -http localhost -n 60
but I can't say I've used it this way so its only an unproven idea.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian