From: John Dunlop on
(Crossposted and followups to ciwah.)

dorayme:

> [Nick Theodorakis:]
>
>> shapper:

B, if you just want bold, but do you really want bold? Marking up content
as bold would seem to go against the idea of descriptive markup. If what
you want is emphasis, EM or STRONG would do. You can style these however
you like.

>> If the meaning is that text is emphasized in some way, use <strong>:
>>
>> "This is an <strong>important</strong> point to make!"
>>
>> Alternatively, you can use <em>, but most visual browsers will render
>> the text in italics.
>
> em is supposed to be for 'emphasis', strong is supposed to be 'strong
> emphasis'. It is not a mere alternative, it is rather two degrees of the
> same thing.

Right, that's what the specification says. But I tend to agree with Jukka
when he wrote that "the difference is not in the strength of emphasis but
between emphasizing in local context and highlighting key words".

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/em.html

So while the spec says it's a matter of degree, I wouldn't disagree with
Nick:

>> How to decide whether text should be marked up as <strong> or <em> (and
>> whether <strong> is a stronger emphasis than <em>) is an open question.

And, as Jukka wonders out loud, if it is just a matter of degree, is

>> If the text should be be emboldened (or italicized) or otherwise
>> distinguished from the surrounding text, but there is no semantic need
>> for emphasis, use <b> (or <i>):
>
> If there is no semantic need for emphasis, then css is the way to go.

Nick's example was

| "Towards a hermeneutic consistency of bozon attractors in postmodern
| analysis."

I would use CITE instead of I.

ISTR someone arguing that instead of

.issue-number{font-weight:bold}