From: Dan on
hi, have run into a wall, backup apps that save permissions, whether you
asked to save permissions or not.. pretty devastating?

would rather skip the permissions thing all together. when pc get trashed
am re-installing operating system, but my backup files won't install because
of permissions, then application corrupts my backups... give up

is there an X-COPY that still works / spans cd's ?
thanks
From: EN59CVH on

What exactly is the problem? I don't get asked about permissions!
Perhaps you need to use the right tool for backups!

hth

From: Patrick Keenan on

"Dan" <Dan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, have run into a wall, backup apps that save permissions, whether you
> asked to save permissions or not.. pretty devastating?
>
> would rather skip the permissions thing all together. when pc get trashed
> am re-installing operating system, but my backup files won't install
> because
> of permissions, then application corrupts my backups... give up
>
> is there an X-COPY that still works / spans cd's ?
> thanks

What is the app you are using?

If your backups are on read-only optical media, the restoration process can
not corrupt the backup itself. It is possible that the backup was not
valid in the first place, rendering it useless.

Xcopy isn't really much good for backups. It's slow and prone to giving up
on errors.

Use an application that's built for this purpose, such as TrueImage.

HTH
-pk

From: Dan on
hi, thanks for the response. I don't know if both will get this response so
don't have to post twice. will try to be brief:

- bump "back up my pc" app known to corrupt disks so restores don't work
(called / worked with bump techs on couple of restore).

(recommend don't use bump..) having gone from old dos? backup-restore that
allowed: self-contained commands in small files that "SPANNED" multiple
disks; did not require front or rear-end file "name TABLES" that cause
corruptions, enterprise etc.. sorry,

conversely, (1 user / home pc new install of OS; need to skip permissions)
looking for simple backup method that spans cd's, does not get corrupt on
user permissions when going from 1 pc to same pc, new OS install.

not familiar with backup - restore
garbage.
- must be able to span disks (cd's)
- wouldn't care if it were unix commands if "small" backup-restore files
can be carried around with

From: Patrick Keenan on
> hi, thanks for the response. I don't know if both will get this response
> so
> don't have to post twice. will try to be brief:
>
> - bump "back up my pc" app known to corrupt disks so restores don't work
> (called / worked with bump techs on couple of restore).
>
> (recommend don't use bump..) having gone from old dos? backup-restore that
> allowed: self-contained commands in small files that "SPANNED" multiple
> disks; did not require front or rear-end file "name TABLES" that cause
> corruptions, enterprise etc.. sorry,
>
> conversely, (1 user / home pc new install of OS; need to skip
> permissions)
> looking for simple backup method that spans cd's, does not get corrupt on
> user permissions when going from 1 pc to same pc, new OS install.
>
> not familiar with backup - restore
> garbage.
> - must be able to span disks (cd's)
> - wouldn't care if it were unix commands if "small" backup-restore files
> can be carried around with

Look into Acronis True Image. There is a full-feature trial version, it's
not expensive (around US$50), it can span DVDs (don't use CDs), it can
produce bootable restore media, and it's as fast as anything else (much
faster than xcopy or similar).

There are two things you're really looking at backing up. The first is the
OS, so that you can quickly restore a working system in case of disaster.
The second is your data. Back these up separately (the OS backup will
contain your data if it is on the same paritition; not a problem); the OS
backup will only need to be refreshed when you make system changes. You
might want to get a bare hard disk for the OS backups - where I am,
terabyte-size drives are about $80 - and then consider what you're going to
back up the data to. Set the program to make 'incremental' backups, and
you will get one large initial backup and then much smaller "difference"
files.

Unfortunately, when making 'incremental' backups, TI requires the original
backup to be on the same drive, so you can't just store a 'reference' copy
on one DVD and have the increments put on another. Perhaps they will add
that feature someday, but AFAIK it isn't there now.

I use TI but there are other versions of the same kind of software. I'm
sure other posters will chime in with their suggestions; see what works best
for *you* and use that. Overall, though, imaging software is what you want
to use.

HTH
-pk