From: Slobodan Blazeski on
On Sep 19, 6:09 pm, Ken Tilton <kennytil...(a)optonline.net> wrote:
> Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

> >>You Americans are all alike, and may I just express here my undying
> >>admiration for your obsession with software correctness allowing you to
> >>classify "does not work" as a nit. There is a great future for you in
> >>software. Yes, we have a pool. We have a pool and a pond. The pond would
> >>be good for you.*
>
> >>Remember when we were all hoping Lisp would become more popular and I
> >>said be careful what you wish for? Did anyone listen to me? Does anyone
> >>ever listen to me?
>
> > Kenny, if you're going to sneak out of the Cabal of Lispers meetings
> > to check on the game at the sports bar, at least ask people what you
> > missed before complaining in public, will ya? We need a sufficient
> > number of debutants actively engaged in the language if we want to
> > make the Semantic Winter really stick. This little wave now is a
> > small price to pay for the insulation they'll buy us later. And
> > remember your talking points: *Lisp* will transform the web into one
> > giant AI. If we're not careful, Python or Ruby might take credit for
> > the failure and then we're screwed.
>
> I think we'll be OK:
>
> All sufficiently ambitious software projects fail.
> Lisp is used for sufficiently ambitious software projects.
> Therefore all software projects fail because of Lisp.
>
> kenny
>
> --http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

What do you suggest ? Use lisp only for toy projects and blame other
language for failures?

From: Slobodan Blazeski on
On Sep 19, 8:51 pm, smallpond <smallp...(a)juno.com> wrote:
> On Sep 19, 8:38 am, "J. I. Gyasu" <j.i.gyasu(a)nospam> wrote:
>

> > qikink wrote:
> > > <code>
> > > (defun fib (n)
> > > (cond
> > > ((= n 0) 1)
> > > ((= n 1) 1)
> > > (t (+ (fib (- n 1)) (fib (- n 2))))
> > > )
> > > )
> > > </code>
>
> > The above one hangs while computing (fib 200)
>
> It may be hung or it may be just pensive. Perhaps you
> could write a short program that tells whether it will
> eventually complete.

Are you referring to Halting problem ?
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=450977

Slobodan

From: Nicolas Neuss on
Giorgos Keramidas <keramida(a)ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

> CL-USER> (defun fib (n)
> (loop for x below n
> for a = 0 then b
> and b = 1 then (+ a b)
> finally (return b)))
> CL-USER> (mapcar #'fib (loop for x from 1 upto 20 collecting x))
> (1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765)
> CL-USER>

0-th Fibonacci is 0, IIRC. Furthermore, the use of loop's repeat clause is
appropriate here. Thus,

(defun fib (n)
(loop repeat n
for a = 0 then b
and b = 1 then (+ a b)
finally (return a)))

Nicolas
From: Ken Tilton on

Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> On Sep 19, 6:09 pm, Ken Tilton <kennytil...(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

>>>Kenny, if you're going to sneak out of the Cabal of Lispers meetings
>>>to check on the game at the sports bar, at least ask people what you
>>>missed before complaining in public, will ya? We need a sufficient
>>>number of debutants actively engaged in the language if we want to
>>>make the Semantic Winter really stick. This little wave now is a
>>>small price to pay for the insulation they'll buy us later. And
>>>remember your talking points: *Lisp* will transform the web into one
>>>giant AI. If we're not careful, Python or Ruby might take credit for
>>>the failure and then we're screwed.
>>
>>I think we'll be OK:
>>
>>All sufficiently ambitious software projects fail.
>>Lisp is used for sufficiently ambitious software projects.
>>Therefore all software projects fail because of Lisp.
>>
>>kenny
>>
>>--http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>

> What do you suggest ?

I suggest no further discussion of Lisp's image problem now that it is
the fastest growing language on Earth and will soon push all the others
into the sea.

> Use lisp only for toy projects and blame other
> language for failures?

I suggest we shut down c.l.l and everyone get to work writing computer
applications. Remember those? The reason we program? Hello? Anybody?

kenny

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"We are what we pretend to be." -Kurt Vonnegut