From: Nick Couchman on
>>> On 2010/08/09 at 11:25, Stefan Onken <support(a)stonki.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some users using sometimes Windows XP and sometimes Windows 7. In
> my smb.comf I only have one profile section, now Samba is creating both
> "profile" and "profile.V2" in the /home/<user> directory. Resulting in
> using twice the disk space.
>
> 1) Is there any way to link them ?

No...version 1 profiles (anything pre-Vista) are completely incompatible with version 2 profiles (Vista and later). You can make sure that the My Documents folder is not stored with the profile and is stored elsewhere on the network, and this should alleviate some of the disk space requirements. But they cannot be linked or be in the same folder.

> 2) Do I need a profile.V2 section in my smb.conf?

If you want \\server\profile.V2 to point to /home/<user>/Profile.V2, yes, you'll need another section. Basically, Vista and higher take your profile directory specified in your SAM (NT, Samba, or AD) database and just tack on the ".V2" to get the path of the new profile.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.
Hi there, I had the same problem. but until now I think a possible
solution but I do not know how to make it.

Nick Couchman wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have some users using sometimes Windows XP and sometimes Windows 7. In
>> my smb.comf I only have one profile section, now Samba is creating both
>> "profile" and "profile.V2" in the /home/<user> directory. Resulting in
>> using twice the disk space.
>>
>> 1) Is there any way to link them ?
>>

> No...version 1 profiles (anything pre-Vista) are completely incompatible with version 2 profiles (Vista and later). You can make sure that the My Documents folder is not stored with the profile and is stored elsewhere on the network, and this should alleviate some of the disk space requirements. But they cannot be linked or be in the same folder.

Saddly true ... more over some Reg entries changed drastically ...
>> 2) Do I need a profile.V2 section in my smb.conf?
>>

> If you want \\server\profile.V2 to point to /home/<user>/Profile.V2, yes, you'll need another section. Basically, Vista and higher take your profile directory specified in your SAM (NT, Samba, or AD) database and just tack on the ".V2" to get the path of the new profile.
>
> -Nick

What if you let the workstations work with its current profiles
--profiles or profiles.V2-- but using some script you symlink My
Documents and Desktop folder to one other so it keeps its current
platform settings without messing too much with the registry, and having
the same files shared between profiles. Could that works ? Maybe I'll do
the test right away.