From: Mark White on
What's the best way to move the files from a root mount point to another
partition while in single user mode?

I am trying this:

find / -xdev -print0 | cpio -dvmp --null destinationmountdir/

But I keep running out of space - the root partition has 6 gigabytes,
the destinationmountdir/ has 8 gigabytes free. I am assuming cpio is
just not the right way to migrate.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
mw
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 20:12:52 -0500, Mark White <mwhite198823(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> What's the best way to move the files from a root mount point to another

Most likely it's trying to backup /proc and/or /sys, which are
pseudo filesystems. Try ...
rsync -axSX --exclude="lost+found" / destinationmountdir/

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Stephane CHAZELAS on
2010-01-11, 21:02(-05), David W. Hodgins:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 20:12:52 -0500, Mark White <mwhite198823(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the best way to move the files from a root mount point to another
>
> Most likely it's trying to backup /proc and/or /sys, which are
> pseudo filesystems. Try ...
> rsync -axSX --exclude="lost+found" / destinationmountdir/
[...]

Not with -xdev.

Other possible explanations are hard links or sparse files that
are not created the same of the destination.

You could use pax or tar. star is meant to do a good job at
preserving everything.

--
St�phane
From: Mark White on

> pseudo filesystems. Try ...
> rsync -axSX --exclude="lost+found" / destinationmountdir/

Hello Dave,
I tried the above, and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

I'd still have been curious to know what exactly went wrong with cpio...

From: David W. Hodgins on
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:24:29 -0500, Mark White <mwhite198823(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>> pseudo filesystems. Try ...
>> rsync -axSX --exclude="lost+found" / destinationmountdir/
>
> Hello Dave,
> I tried the above, and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

Glad it helped.

> I'd still have been curious to know what exactly went wrong with cpio...

As Stephane posted, it could be links being copied as seperate
files, or sparse files being expanded.

Regards, Dave Hodgins