From: superpollo on
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

your opinion? is there a better place for learning?

bye
From: Ed Morton on
On 1/12/2010 7:37 AM, superpollo wrote:
> http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
>
> your opinion? is there a better place for learning?
>
> bye

If you hadn't already posted to this NG previously, given the content of that
posting I wouldn't even consider the possibility that it might not be spam. As
it is, I'm still leaning heavily towards it being spam and certainly have no
intention of clicking on that link. Maybe if you provided some context...

Ed.
From: superpollo on
Ed Morton ha scritto:
> On 1/12/2010 7:37 AM, superpollo wrote:
>> http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
>>
>> your opinion? is there a better place for learning?
>>
>> bye
>
> If you hadn't already posted to this NG previously, given the content of
> that posting I wouldn't even consider the possibility that it might not
> be spam. As it is, I'm still leaning heavily towards it being spam and
> certainly have no intention of clicking on that link. Maybe if you
> provided some context...

oops, sorry for my rudeness.

i thought that everybody knew it as a starting point for bash learning,
and i did not think of it being spam, since it is hosted at the linux
documentation project site.

but anyways, it is "Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide An in-depth
exploration of the art of shell scripting by Mendel Cooper", or the
second hit google spits off with "learn bash scripting" as query. the
first hit is on the same website (BASH Programming - Introduction HOW-TO).

really you thought i was spamming?

bye
From: Younes Zouhair on
On 01/12/2010 08:37 AM, superpollo wrote:
> http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
>
> your opinion? is there a better place for learning?
>
> bye

I like http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide and
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ

You'll learn more about good scripting habits than with abs's examples.

http://www.bash-hackers.org/wiki/doku.php is good too

Good luck

zouhair
From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-01-12, Ed Morton <mortonspam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

[snip]

> I absolutely thought it was probably spam, but I didn't necessarily think it was
> from you (see below). I've never heard of that web site

Never heard of TLDP?!? Wow, I am so old!

TLDP is The Linux Documentation Project. It has been around for many
years, replacing the old linuxdoc.org domain. For more history check
out

http://tldp.org/history.html

The aforementioned Advanced Bash Scripting Guide is, IIRC, not
linux-specific, so is potentially appropriate for comp.unix.shell.

> and your post had the
> look and feel of many spam postings where it just gives a link to a site and
> says something brief like "Check this out." or "What do you think?".

I felt the same, and had I not known about TLDP would have reacted
similarly. Providing real context can be very helpful to those not
familiar with a given web site.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)