From: CNews on
A friend of mine thinks he has a bios virus. He had a message about
virtumonde, then his XP crashed. Since then, even after swapping hard disks
he gets the following error whenever he tries to reload XP
file ntfs.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 5091 in
d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup.c

Any way to tell if virus or bad equipment

CR

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "CNews" <news(a)nowhere.com>

| A friend of mine thinks he has a bios virus. He had a message about
| virtumonde, then his XP crashed. Since then, even after swapping hard disks
| he gets the following error whenever he tries to reload XP
| file ntfs.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 5091 in
| d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup.c

| Any way to tell if virus or bad equipment

| CR

There are no BIOS viruses.
Vitumonde is adware associated with the Vundo Trojan.

--
Dave

From: Ben Myers on
"CNews" <news(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message news:cX8nk.6668$np7.248(a)flpi149.ffdc.sbc.com...
> A friend of mine thinks he has a bios virus. He had a message about
> virtumonde, then his XP crashed. Since then, even after swapping hard disks
> he gets the following error whenever he tries to reload XP
> file ntfs.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 5091 in
> d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup.c
> Any way to tell if virus or bad equipment

Tell him to clean his Windows XP CD. If this doesn't help, he
might try unplugging the computer, opening the case and removing
and reseating the memory modules.

Ben
From: Russg on

"CNews" <> wrote in message news:
> A friend of mine thinks he has a bios virus. He had a message about
> virtumonde, then his XP crashed. Since then, even after swapping hard
disks
> he gets the following error whenever he tries to reload XP
> file ntfs.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 5091 in
> d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup.c
>
> Any way to tell if virus or bad equipment
>
> CR
Sounds to me like a faulty recover installation
on a D: drive partition. Are you sure you don't
have some CDs to restore to factory condition?
You never know if a restore system works until
it is too late to do anything about it.
Maybe buy a XP install CD, very expensive.