Prev: bios virus
Next: neat script
From: Richard Ferryman on
In days gone by I always used a bootable floppy with McAfee to check my PC
but these days useAVG free. This raises a problem that some viruses
install themselves so as to be invisible to normal scanning. Booting from
another OS or boot device stops the virus from hiding itself. Question is
whether there is a good virus checker that I can boot from CD to
inspect/repair any infection on my Windows XP Pro SP3 system?
Richard

From: Russg on

"Richard Ferryman" <> wrote in message news:

> In days gone by I always used a bootable floppy with McAfee to check my PC
> but these days useAVG free. This raises a problem that some viruses
> install themselves so as to be invisible to normal scanning. Booting
from
> another OS or boot device stops the virus from hiding itself. Question is
> whether there is a good virus checker that I can boot from CD to
> inspect/repair any infection on my Windows XP Pro SP3 system?
> Richard

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/F-Secure-Rescue-CD-Download-39153.ht
ml

Above is f-secure rescue CD iso and pdf instructions
download of zip.
It is Linux based and really should come from F-secure
but I couldn't get that at f-secure.
I don't know if f-secure still has updated sig file.
It is beta, supposed to download sig file if internet
is connected, or you can put the sig file on a USB
drive, if you can find the file at f-secure.
It doesn't write to MBR, like Bart PE, and it doesn't
require adding software to a universal boot CD.
It may be that f-secure isn't supporting it any more.

From: Tommy McClure on

"Richard Ferryman" <richardferryman(a)btinternet.com> wrote in message
> In days gone by I always used a bootable floppy with McAfee to check my PC
> but these days useAVG free. This raises a problem that some viruses
> install themselves so as to be invisible to normal scanning. Booting
from
> another OS or boot device stops the virus from hiding itself. Question is
> whether there is a good virus checker that I can boot from CD to
> inspect/repair any infection on my Windows XP Pro SP3 system?
> Richard

don't know if it is the best, but:
http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?wpid=1&front_id=12

linux based, contains 4 AV clients.
supposedly autoconfigures your hs internet connection and downloads updated.
I saw it briefly at a meeting. I haven't tried it.
129mb iso

--
tommy

From: Richard Ferryman on
Thankss for replies. Last night I resorted to booting linux (I have dual OS
on this machine) and running the linux version of AVG on my mounted NTFS
partitions. It found a trojan downloader in the 'system file' of my windows
drive F: (where I keep audiovisual stuff). I copied all my data files from
that drive to an external drive and reformatted drive F:. The trojan has
gone!.
Seems that running another OS to check the windows drives is the best wauy
to go. Think I will create a linux bootable CD similar to those mentioned.
Richard

From: Russg on

"Tommy McClure" <t> wrote in message news:
> "Richard Ferryman" <> wrote in message
> > In days gone by I always used a bootable floppy with McAfee to check my
PC
> > but these days useAVG free. This raises a problem that some viruses
> > install themselves so as to be invisible to normal scanning. Booting
> from
> > another OS or boot device stops the virus from hiding itself. Question
is
> > whether there is a good virus checker that I can boot from CD to
> > inspect/repair any infection on my Windows XP Pro SP3 system?
> > Richard
> >

> don't know if it is the best, but:
> http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?wpid=1&front_id=12
>
> linux based, contains 4 AV clients.
> supposedly autoconfigures your hs internet connection and downloads
updated.
> I saw it briefly at a meeting. I haven't tried it.
> 129mb iso
>

> --
> tommy

I burned a copy and booted it. It is a Linux command line
based and I couldn't figure the commands to make it work, think it requires
some Linux/Unix ability.
I downloaded the documentation, which isn't easy to find,
and still couldn't find the commands and how to use it.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: bios virus
Next: neat script