Prev: bios virus
Next: neat script
From: Tommy McClure on

Russg wrote:
> "Tommy McClure" <t> wrote in message news:
>> "Richard Ferryman" <> wrote in message
>> > In days gone by I always used a bootable floppy with McAfee to
>> > check my PC but these days useAVG free. This raises a problem
>> > that some viruses install themselves so as to be invisible to
>> > normal scanning. Booting from another OS or boot device stops
>> > the virus from hiding itself. Question is whether there is a good
>> > virus checker that I can boot from CD to inspect/repair any
>> > infection on my Windows XP Pro SP3 system?
>> > Richard
>> >

>> don't know if it is the best, but:
>> http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?wpid=1&front_id=12
>>
>> linux based, contains 4 AV clients.
>> supposedly autoconfigures your hs internet connection and downloads
>> updated. I saw it briefly at a meeting. I haven't tried it.
>> 129mb iso
>>

>> --
>> tommy
>>
> I burned a copy and booted it. It is a Linux command line
> based and I couldn't figure the commands to make it work, think it
> requires some Linux/Unix ability.
> I downloaded the documentation, which isn't easy to find,
> and still couldn't find the commands and how to use it.

I downloaded it last night, haven't burned a copy yet. I have a small amt of
linux ability, don't know if it will be enough.

--
tommy

From: Dustin Cook on
"Richard Ferryman" <richardferryman(a)btinternet.com> wrote in

> Thankss for replies. Last night I resorted to booting linux (I have
> dual OS on this machine) and running the linux version of AVG on my
> mounted NTFS partitions. It found a trojan downloader in the 'system
> file' of my windows drive F: (where I keep audiovisual stuff). I
> copied all my data files from that drive to an external drive and
> reformatted drive F:. The trojan has gone!.

WOW!... All that destruction and work to kill one file?

--
Regards,
Dustin Cook, Author of BugHunter

From: Shane on
Dustin Cook wrote:
> "Richard Ferryman" <richardferryman(a)btinternet.com> wrote in
>
>> Thankss for replies. Last night I resorted to booting linux (I have
>> dual OS on this machine) and running the linux version of AVG on my
>> mounted NTFS partitions. It found a trojan downloader in the 'system
>> file' of my windows drive F: (where I keep audiovisual stuff). I
>> copied all my data files from that drive to an external drive and
>> reformatted drive F:. The trojan has gone!.
>
> WOW!... All that destruction and work to kill one file?

Which was probably a false positive anyway. Indeed, I uninstalled AVG for
Linux from my openSUSE installation because it FP'd installation files as
trojans.

Shane

From: Tommy McClure on

"Russg" <russgilb(a)MUNGEsbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Tommy McClure" <t> wrote in message news:
> > "Richard Ferryman" <> wrote in message
> > > In days gone by I always used a bootable floppy with McAfee to check
my
> PC
> > > but these days useAVG free. This raises a problem that some viruses
> > > install themselves so as to be invisible to normal scanning. Booting
> > from
> > > another OS or boot device stops the virus from hiding itself.
Question
> is
> > > whether there is a good virus checker that I can boot from CD to
> > > inspect/repair any infection on my Windows XP Pro SP3 system?
> > > Richard
> > >

> > don't know if it is the best, but:
> > http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?wpid=1&front_id=12
> >
> > linux based, contains 4 AV clients.
> > supposedly autoconfigures your hs internet connection and downloads
> updated.
> > I saw it briefly at a meeting. I haven't tried it.
> > 129mb iso
> >

> > --
> > tommy
> >
> I burned a copy and booted it. It is a Linux command line
> based and I couldn't figure the commands to make it work, think it
requires
> some Linux/Unix ability.
> I downloaded the documentation, which isn't easy to find,
> and still couldn't find the commands and how to use it.

Here is the link for help [documentation]:
http://trinityhome.org/trk/prtdocs/ [ cancel print operation after pages
load ]
Also, when booted from TRK, type "trkhelp" without the quotes.
There's even a linux tutorial included

--
tommy

From: Tommy McClure on

Tommy McClure wrote:
> "Russg" <russgilb(a)MUNGEsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tommy McClure" <t> wrote in message news:
>> > "Richard Ferryman" <> wrote in message
>> > >

>> > don't know if it is the best, but:
>> > http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?wpid=1&front_id=12
>> >
>> > linux based, contains 4 AV clients.
>> > supposedly autoconfigures your hs internet connection and
>> > downloads updated. I saw it briefly at a meeting. I haven't tried
>> > it. 129mb iso
>> >

>> > --
>> > tommy
>> >
>> I burned a copy and booted it. It is a Linux command line
>> based and I couldn't figure the commands to make it work, think it
>> requires some Linux/Unix ability.
>> I downloaded the documentation, which isn't easy to find,
>> and still couldn't find the commands and how to use it.
>>

> Here is the link for help [documentation]:
> http://trinityhome.org/trk/prtdocs/ [ cancel print operation after
> pages load ]
> Also, when booted from TRK, type "trkhelp" without the quotes.
> There's even a linux tutorial included

I just tried it, I typed trkhelp and received a message for "host not found"
error. [ host searched for: http://trinityhome.org/trk/prtdocs ]. They
didn't even put a copy of the docs on the cd! Print the docs first!
Apparently, they expect you to be hooked up to a high speed modem connection
when you boot. [ I only have dialup ]

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: bios virus