Prev: bios virus
Next: neat script
From: Tommy McClure on

Russg wrote:
> "Russg" <> wrote in message news:
>> "David W. Hodgins" <> wrote in message news:
>> >
>> > It's probably in the path. At the command prompt, try running
>> > avgscan --help
>> >
>> > Regards, Dave Hodgins
>> >
>> Thanks, Dave.
>> I tried that 'avgscan --help and got
>> -bash no such command avgscan
>>
>> I remember a little bit.
>> I do 'ls -al' and get the root directory.
>> Then I do 'cd ../' and get more directories, but find no
>> executables.
>>
>> The documentation has
>> '-grisoft AVG', which I'm guessing is a command,
>> but I can't find it.
>>
>> I know there's a bunch of stuff on this CD.
> I got it!
> at the command prompt (I forget what dir it is)
> type 'ls -al' (not actually necessary) then
> type 'cd ../'
> type ls -al again (not necessary)
> then type 'cd bin'
> now you're in the right directory and there
> are 100 or so commands, virusscan* being one of them.
> for this directory you type 'ls -al |more' to see all
> the commands.
> but virusscan starts the scan, didn't finish it (cntrl C out).
>
> Somebody used the word 'arcane'. I think that applies.

check this out russ [ from documentation file]:

Usage

Below is the help output when you type 'virusscan -h'. It 's self
explanatory, with an example

Usage: 'virusscan -a {clam,avg,fprot,bde} -c -g -n -d {DESTINATION}' where
-a: What antivirus you want to use. Takes 'clam' for ClamAv, 'fprot' for
F-Prot, 'avg'
for Grisoft AVG and 'bde' for BitDefender.
Note that ClamAv is actually meant to plug into mailservers and block
infections.
Therefore it can only quarantain infected files not disinfect them

--
tommy

From: Tommy McClure on

Tommy McClure wrote:
> Russg wrote:

>>> Thanks, Dave.
>>> I tried that 'avgscan --help and got
>>> -bash no such command avgscan
>>>
>>> I remember a little bit.
>>> I do 'ls -al' and get the root directory.
>>> Then I do 'cd ../' and get more directories, but find no
>>> executables.
>>>
>>> The documentation has
>>> '-grisoft AVG', which I'm guessing is a command,
>>> but I can't find it.
>>>
>>> I know there's a bunch of stuff on this CD.
>> I got it!
>> at the command prompt (I forget what dir it is)
>> type 'ls -al' (not actually necessary) then
>> type 'cd ../'
>> type ls -al again (not necessary)
>> then type 'cd bin'
>> now you're in the right directory and there
>> are 100 or so commands, virusscan* being one of them.
>> for this directory you type 'ls -al |more' to see all
>> the commands.
>> but virusscan starts the scan, didn't finish it (cntrl C out).
>>
>> Somebody used the word 'arcane'. I think that applies.
>
> check this out russ [ from documentation file]:
>
> Usage
>
> Below is the help output when you type 'virusscan -h'. It 's self
> explanatory, with an example
>
> Usage: 'virusscan -a {clam,avg,fprot,bde} -c -g -n -d {DESTINATION}'
> where -a: What antivirus you want to use. Takes 'clam' for ClamAv,
> 'fprot' for F-Prot, 'avg'
> for Grisoft AVG and 'bde' for BitDefender.
> Note that ClamAv is actually meant to plug into mailservers and
> block infections.
> Therefore it can only quarantain infected files not disinfect them

Also, when I tried this, only clam would work. The other selections gave an
error message that wget could not download the other AV programs, so I
have to assume that only clam is on the cd somewhere. I don't have a high
speed connection that it could detect.

--
tommy

From: Tommy McClure on

Russg wrote:
> "Russg" <> wrote in message news:
>> "David W. Hodgins" <> wrote in message news:
>> >
>> > It's probably in the path. At the command prompt, try running
>> > avgscan --help
>> >
>> > Regards, Dave Hodgins
>> >
>> Thanks, Dave.
>> I tried that 'avgscan --help and got
>> -bash no such command avgscan
>>
>> I remember a little bit.
>> I do 'ls -al' and get the root directory.
>> Then I do 'cd ../' and get more directories, but find no
>> executables.
>>
>> The documentation has
>> '-grisoft AVG', which I'm guessing is a command,
>> but I can't find it.
>>
>> I know there's a bunch of stuff on this CD.
> I got it!
> at the command prompt (I forget what dir it is)
> type 'ls -al' (not actually necessary) then
> type 'cd ../'
> type ls -al again (not necessary)
> then type 'cd bin'
> now you're in the right directory and there
> are 100 or so commands, virusscan* being one of them.
> for this directory you type 'ls -al |more' to see all
> the commands.
> but virusscan starts the scan, didn't finish it (cntrl C out).
>
> Somebody used the word 'arcane'. I think that applies.

try this. Go to root again. [type cd.. time or two], then type mountallfs,
then sit back while all disk drives in your system are mounted. Then you can
see and browse them in root. /

Great for copying files and saving endangered files.

--
tommy

From: Russg on

"Tommy McClure" <t> wrote in message news:
snip
> try this. Go to root again. [type cd.. time or two], then type mountallfs,
> then sit back while all disk drives in your system are mounted. Then you
can
> see and browse them in root. /
>
> Great for copying files and saving endangered files.

> tommy
I believe TRK automatically mounts all available hard
drives.

I got the default virusscan to run clamav.
It found 10 of 12 malware I have, BUT it didn't
do anything with them, nor tell me where they were
when it ended. It doesn't create a log file either.
I just happened to see them as they passed by during
the search.
At the end, it did say it found 10 and would give
me the oportunity to delete them, but I didn't see how.
I also don't know how it can get an updated signatures.
I believe I could get them and put them on a USB
drive.
I have no ethernet connnection, just a wireless.

From: Tommy McClure on

Russg wrote:
> "Tommy McClure" <t> wrote in message news:
> snip
>> try this. Go to root again. [type cd.. time or two], then type
>> mountallfs, then sit back while all disk drives in your system are
>> mounted. Then you can see and browse them in root. /
>>
>> Great for copying files and saving endangered files.
>
>> tommy
> I believe TRK automatically mounts all available hard
> drives.
>
> I got the default virusscan to run clamav.
> It found 10 of 12 malware I have, BUT it didn't
> do anything with them, nor tell me where they were
> when it ended. It doesn't create a log file either.
> I just happened to see them as they passed by during
> the search.
> At the end, it did say it found 10 and would give
> me the oportunity to delete them, but I didn't see how.
> I also don't know how it can get an updated signatures.
> I believe I could get them and put them on a USB
> drive.
> I have no ethernet connnection, just a wireless.

didn't automatically do it with mine. If you can see them in the root, then
they're mounted and ready to browse. It says that Clam is only

<quote>* cannot disinfect inside files on its own. What I did in this case
is quarantain the infected files into a tar.gz archive in
<scandestination>/TRK-INFECTED/. Should a file be accidentally deleted, you
can recover it afterwards and rescan it with another antivirustool <unquote>

Look around in your drive for .gz files. I haven't tried it yet. [full scan
with Clam]. Looks like dialup users are up a creek with this one.

--
tommy

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5