From: Serkan on

Dear Veterans,

I have a design for FPGA whose top module includes 15 vhdl modules
a flexible user/client block that interacts with these blocks . I do
not have the source code for the user block. I just have the inputs
and outputs of this block. I instantiated user block as a black box in
my design. We want to integrate user block into my design without
interchanging the source code from both sides. However, the issue is
that "the synthesis should be done in client's side" and I have the
top module. It should be in a way that once I send the files I am
done. To the client, I want to supply the synthesized version of the
code which client will work for 6 months or so on their user block.
During this time, I will not bother generation of a programming file
for them. I want to make sure they have all the necessary files in
this period.

questions
1- Is there a way other than sending my top module and other 15 edifs
to the client.
2- Is it possible for me to insert client's block as a black box, make
a synthesis and send this file with the ucf file to the client and
make sure that client can integrate his user block and can work
further and generate a programming file.
3- Do I have to make a new top module that has two blocks. One of
this block is my previous top module the other is the user block? I
will put all inputs and outputs of user block to my previous top
module's inputs and outputs in a way that that user block
functionality stays the same.

I prefer 2,3,1. I hope option 2 is aplicable.

I am using Xilinx 9.1.03i, XST,VHDL
From: Serkan on
It seems our veterans are not familiar with the subject.
any comments anyone?

Serkan

From: Nial Stewart on
It's a while (>10 years) since I worked with EDIFs, but...

> questions
> 1- Is there a way other than sending my top module and other 15 edifs
> to the client.

Can you not generate one EDIF for the whole design?

The user bits will be instantiated as a black box which will be pulled in
during syntesis.

?

Nial.

From: Brian Drummond on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:18:33 -0800 (PST), Serkan <oktem(a)su.sabanciuniv.edu>
wrote:

>It seems our veterans are not familiar with the subject.
>any comments anyone?

Try approach (2) yourself.

You can test it by writing a module which mimics the user's module (has the same
interface) but doesn't actually do the work (e.g. it just passes the inputs to
the outputs)

See how separately synthesised modules are treated as black boxes and combined
at the NGDbuild stage in the EDK flow EDK. THat may help with the details.

- Brian
From: Nial Stewart on
> any comments anyone?

Don't be impatient, both your posts only turned up on my server
this morning.

This is usenet remember.

Nial.