From: bobert on
My wife's G4 iBook woke up today, but the screen stayed black. I did a hard
shutdown, restarted but instead if the regular chime, I got a longish tone and
the power light blinked fast and went out. Anybody here know what' happening?
--

On average, everyone has one testicle and one overy

Bobert
In Central California
From: David Empson on
bobert <guess(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> My wife's G4 iBook woke up today, but the screen stayed black. I did a
> hard shutdown, restarted but instead if the regular chime, I got a longish
> tone and the power light blinked fast and went out. Anybody here know
> what' happening?

That's an error chime which indicates the power-on self test failed.

From information I can glean, if it beeps ONCE at startup instead of
giving the chime, it means that the computer was unable to access any
memory (RAM).

The iBook G4 has some built-in memory (256 MB or 512 MB depending on the
model), plus a single slot under the keyboard.

If no memory module is installed in that slot, this error means there is
a fault on the main logic board of the computer, either in the built-in
memory or the hardware to access the memory. Adding a memory module to
the slot might get it working again, depending on whether the problem is
with the built-in memory or some other component.

If there is a memory module installed in the slot, the problem might be
just that module has developed a fault or has worked loose, and it can
be replaced.

How good are you at working with electronic components safely? If you
don't think you have the necessary skills, take the computer to someone
who does. The initial steps are simple diagnostics which don't require
major dismantling of the computer, but you need to know how to avoid
damaging the memory and computer in the process of removing and
installing it.

(I don't have time to go into further details now.)

The bad news: if the fault is with a built-in component, the computer
may be permanently unusable (short of an uneconomic replacement of its
main logic board).

The good news: no matter where the fault is, the hard disk inside the
computer is probably OK, so your wife's files on it are probably intact
(you should have backups, of course, but anything she has been working
on since the last backup will only be on that drive).

The ugly news: if it turns out the computer is dead and you need to
extract the hard drive to get files off it, it is NOT a simple
procedure, as it involves removing the upper and lower case, inner metal
shields and a few other components. It generally takes me about an hour
to open up an iBook G4 and remove the hard drive, and I've already done
this a few times. A more experienced person might get it down to half an
hour.

In comparison, adding or removing the memory is relatively easy. (The
battery, power connector, keyboard, Airport card and a metal tray are
the only components that have to be removed to access it.)

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: dorayme on
In article <1jmg0ql.ls9edx1fxl7ynN%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>,
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:

> The ugly news: if it turns out the computer is dead and you need to
> extract the hard drive to get files off it, it is NOT a simple
> procedure, as it involves removing the upper and lower case, inner metal
> shields and a few other components. It generally takes me about an hour
> to open up an iBook G4 and remove the hard drive, and I've already done
> this a few times. A more experienced person might get it down to half an
> hour.

If I was getting it out, and the machine was to be junked, it
would be toot sweet (I am able to use these French expressions
because I have been in Europe and did French at school and my
parents talked it fluently and plus, if I may say, I am a bit
cultured), I would use the Australian method, I would get my
angle grinder out.

--
dorayme