From: Barry Margolin on
In article <slrnhsrut0.fjj.vpm+news(a)pitchu.serengetty.fr>,
Vivien MOREAU <vpm+news(a)serengetty.fr> wrote:

> On 2010-04-20, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>
> > I received the book I ordered and was very disappointed. The book said
> > copyright 89 and 90 and had one chapter on TCP/IP. I don't even know if the
> > web was around in '89. The C is a very strange syntax pre-ANSI I would say:
> >
> > main(argc, argv)
> > int argc;
> > char *argv[];
>
> This is not a "very strange syntax", this is K&R C.

That's what he said: "pre-ANSI".

It's strange in the same way that Shakespearean English seems strange
now.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Rainer Weikusat on
Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> writes:
> In article <slrnhsrut0.fjj.vpm+news(a)pitchu.serengetty.fr>,
> Vivien MOREAU <vpm+news(a)serengetty.fr> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-04-20, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>>
>> > I received the book I ordered and was very disappointed. The book said
>> > copyright 89 and 90 and had one chapter on TCP/IP. I don't even know if the
>> > web was around in '89. The C is a very strange syntax pre-ANSI I would say:
>> >
>> > main(argc, argv)
>> > int argc;
>> > char *argv[];
>>
>> This is not a "very strange syntax", this is K&R C.
>
> That's what he said: "pre-ANSI".

This is not quite true. Except the missing return type, this is (as of
C99) still valid C, although the C-standard calls it 'obsolescent'.
From: Barry Margolin on
In article <87aasxup2y.fsf(a)fever.mssgmbh.com>,
Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> writes:
> > In article <slrnhsrut0.fjj.vpm+news(a)pitchu.serengetty.fr>,
> > Vivien MOREAU <vpm+news(a)serengetty.fr> wrote:

> >> This is not a "very strange syntax", this is K&R C.
> >
> > That's what he said: "pre-ANSI".
>
> This is not quite true. Except the missing return type, this is (as of
> C99) still valid C, although the C-standard calls it 'obsolescent'.

Who said it was invalid? He just said it was strange. As you pointed
out, it's obsolescent, and has been out of fashion for two decades. So
it's quite unusual to see it these days.