From: pebro1955 on
How do I create a boot disc from my computer
From: Ken Blake on
In news:FED6C1F5-FC9D-4267-86D3-47C58A126AE6(a)microsoft.com,
pebro1955 <pebro1955(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> How do I create a boot disc from my computer

If you have a Windows XP installation CD, it's bootable, and
that's your emergency startup disk.

However, you can download diskettes here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=&freetext=boot+disk&DisplayLang=en

Please reply to the newsgroup

From: Bob Harris on
You can create a bootable floppy via arigh-click format from within windows
explorer. Be sure to chekc the box "veate an MS-DOS startup disk".
**BUT**, this floppy will boot the PC into winME not winXP. Further it will
not be able to see any NTFS formatted partitions, which is the normal format
for XP. You can get and add NTFS read/copy-only drivers for free, but
write/paste drivers cost money.

If you interest in testing some of the PC hardware, then a DOS floppy might
be of some value. For example, there are RAM testers that wok form DOS.
But, in general you will want something more powerful than a DOS floppy.

The XP CDROM (real XP, not OEM recovery CD) is bootable and can run the XP
recovery onsole, which feels a bit like DOS, but is not DOS. It can be used
to fix a small range of common problems. Here are some links about the
recovery console:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm (near bottom of page)

An even friendlier and more powerful solution is to make a "Bart's PE
builder" CD. It takes a while to make the first one, but it is worth it.
Bart's effectively runs a scaled down verison of XP from a CD, without some
of the restictions of the official XP recovery console. It is great for
fixing things and copying files off of a PC before re-installing XP. Here
is a link to Bart's:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

From: Sharon F on
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:11:31 -0500, Bob Harris wrote:

> Be sure to chekc the box "veate an MS-DOS startup disk".
> **BUT**, this floppy will boot the PC into winME not winXP.

I don't think you meant what you said. :) The boot disk created in the
manner you describe will not boot to WinME. It will boot a version of
MS-DOS. An interesting side note is that the boot disk will contain files
mostly the same (and the same version) as those found on an MS DOS boot
disk that is created on a WinME system.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
From: Colin Barnhorst on
If your interest is in a rescue disk, consider BartPE.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

"pebro1955" <pebro1955(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I create a boot disc from my computer

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Installing Bejeweled 2
Next: "Creative Projects" hassle