From: Babel17delany on
Thank you.
I looked on the CNET reviews and saw one person had identified this as a
problem. Unfortunately, no solution was offered.
I then registered with the Wilder Security forum that you provided a
link for and I posted my question there.

--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.
From: Babel17delany on
Outstanding, mrtee!

You gave me the answer!

The solution was to click "proceed" with the CD-RW bay still open and
let Acronis close the bay for me. When the CD spun up the writing began.

Thank you very much!

--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.
From: » mrtee « on
You're welcome.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

From: David K on
Babel17delany <Babel17delany(a)optonline.net> wrote:

>I recently downloaded Acronis TrueImage8.

So did I (actually I bought it outright it as a download from NewEgg
for $34). Great price from a great company.

>I have been unable to get it to create the bootable rescue media on a
>blank CD.

I had trouble with that too, until it occurred to me that my brand new
dual layer DVD burner might not be doing to well with my two year old
4x CD-R blanks. So, at 3 AM in the morning (retired EE/programmer
here, old habits) I went to Wal-Mart to see what was available these
days for CD-R media. There was nothing on the shelf below 32x. :)

I bought a 50 pack of 48x CD-R media for $18 and headed home,
confident that my problem with making a True Image boot CD was now
fixed. Well, guess what, ...it was fixed! Now those three remaining
blank 4x CD-R disks from my two year old purchase are de facto
coasters. :)

By the way, if you plan to image your boot hard drive as a backup for
your OS, and the drive has more than one partition on it, you should
image the entire drive, not just the boot partition. I tried the
latter first, followed by a test restore to a new hard drive. That
drive would not boot to XP Pro completely. It wouldn't boot to safe
mode either. After digging through the Acronis help forum, I found a
blurb that said you should backup the entire boot disk, not just the
boot partition (the problem has something to do with the master boot
record). I then proceeded to do just that, and then tried another
test restore. This time, the restored disk booted up just fine, an
apparent exact mirror of the imaged disk.

At this point then, just a few days after my Acronis True Image
purchase, I'm fairly impressed with the software -- it works! Now I
plan to buy a USB hard drive to use with True Image for backup.