From: Guru on
On Oct 26, 12:01 am, Ray Andraka <r...(a)andraka.com> wrote:
> techG wrote:
> > HI, I'm new in FPGA, I have to build a SPI interface (in VHDL) to let
> > an fpga read and write a flash memory.
> > The fpga is a Xilinx Spartan3E, while the memory is an ST M25P16
> > (serial I/O).
> > Do you know if is there any built vhdl core to start with?
>
> > Thanks in advance
> > Giulio
>
> An SPI interface is really pretty easy to implement. The major
> difficulty is reading through the device data sheet to make sure you get
> all the details correct. There are a large number of different flavors
> of SPI, so an interface developed for one application is probably not
> going to be a perfect fit for another. It is a good beginner's project.

I agree both of you: this is a very good project for a beginner. Once
you master the shift register the other things become a piece of cake.
Try to use simulator (Modelsim XE) for code simulation and Chipscope
for HW debug. These two tools will eventually save you a lot of time.

Guru

From: futzy.r on
On Oct 25, 9:57 am, techG <giuliopul...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> HI, I'm new in FPGA, I have to build a SPI interface (in VHDL) to let
> an fpga read and write a flash memory.
> The fpga is a Xilinx Spartan3E, while the memory is an ST M25P16
> (serial I/O).
> Do you know if is there any built vhdl core to start with?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Giulio

You can try www.opencores.org;
The SPI core interface is quite simple to code up as well.
Cheers

From: techG on
On Oct 30, 6:17 am, futz...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 25, 9:57 am, techG <giuliopul...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > HI, I'm new in FPGA, I have to build a SPI interface (in VHDL) to let
> > an fpga read and write a flash memory.
> > The fpga is a Xilinx Spartan3E, while the memory is an ST M25P16
> > (serial I/O).
> > Do you know if is there any built vhdl core to start with?
>
> > Thanks in advance
> > Giulio
>
> You can trywww.opencores.org;
> The SPI core interface is quite simple to code up as well.
> Cheers

i just found a project for SPI controller in opencores.org
(spiflashcontroller)
it's not as simple as I expected, but i found it more useful!
thank you all