From: Andy Terrel on
On Feb 12, 4:11 pm, "Thomas Nelson" <t...(a)mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 1:35 pm, andrew clarke <m...(a)ozzmosis.com> wrote:
>
> > Thomas, I sent you a message off-list but it bounced due to your mailbox
> > being full.
>
> > Short answer: Subscribe to the c-p...(a)yahoogroups.com mailing list and
> > ask your C/C++ questions there.
>
> > Regards
> > Andrew
>
> I have to edit a large C++ project written by someone else. My email
> address
> above is incorrect; replace mail with cs. Thanks for the help.
>
> Thomas

To learn C I recommend K&R (Kernigahn and Richie), for C++ I like
Savitch's book, Absolute C++. I too learned python then c/c++. Also I
would disagree with the people saying never to use C++, it will run
much faster for computationally intensive programs. It will make you
a better python programmer, you get to see how things are done "under
the hood".

From: Nicola Musatti on
On Feb 12, 7:00 pm, "Thomas Nelson" <t...(a)mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> I realize I'm approaching this backwards from the direction most
> people go, but does anyone know of a good c/c++ introduction for
> python programmers?

I don't think there's any book catering specifically for people coming
from dynamically typed languages. If you want a crash course try
"Accelerated C++", by Koenig & Moo; if you want something more gentle,
that may also serve as a reference, go for "C++ Primer", by Lippman,
Lajoie & Moo. Both books from Addison Wesley.

As for something freely available people speak well of Bruce Eckel's
"Thinking in C++", but I haven't read it: http://www.mindview.net/
Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti

From: Neil Cerutti on
On 2007-02-12, Thomas Nelson <thn(a)mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> I realize I'm approaching this backwards from the direction
> most people go, but does anyone know of a good c/c++
> introduction for python programmers?

To become productive in C++ in a short time, especially with a
Python background, I highly recommend Koenig & Moo _Accelerated
C++_.

It's not enough C++ to join a C++ team at a professional
development house (of course no book can provide that), but it's
all the best bits.

If you get through that, then proceed directly to the source,
Stroustrup _The C++ Programming language_.

--
Neil Cerutti
You only get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so many times. --Ike Taylor
From: Jorgen Grahn on
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:35:36 +1100, andrew clarke <mail(a)ozzmosis.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 10:00:51AM -0800, Thomas Nelson wrote:
>
>> I realize I'm approaching this backwards from the direction most
>> people go, but does anyone know of a good c/c++ introduction for
>> python programmers?
>
> Thomas, I sent you a message off-list but it bounced due to your mailbox
> being full.
>
> Short answer: Subscribe to the c-prog(a)yahoogroups.com mailing list and
> ask your C/C++ questions there.

Why on earth should he do that, seeing that he seems to post here over
Usenet? There are plenty of Usenet groups for both languages. For C++, there
are comp.lang.c++ and comp.lang.c++.moderated. Reading the second one has
been both useful and enjoyable for me.

And to echo what someone else wrote: please don't use the term "C/C++". It
makes about the same sense as "Perl/Python" (or "Python/Perl").

/Jorgen

\X/ snipabacken.dyndns.org> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
From: Jorgen Grahn on
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:10:02 +0100, Ma�l Benjamin Mettler <mbm(a)mediamonger.ch> wrote:
> Thomas Nelson schrieb:

[top posting fixed]

>> I realize I'm approaching this backwards from the direction most
>> people go, but does anyone know of a good c/c++ introduction for
>> python programmers?

> Learning C++ is not worth is in my opinion, since you can get the OOP
> power from Python and use C if you need speed...

Well, C++ is a better language than C in many ways. So, if he needs to learn
one of them, why does it have to be C?

Another reason some people choose C++ over Python for some tasks is that
they feel that larger programs benefit from strong, static type checking.
I like both ways, but depending on the task, one or the other is better.

And then there's always the "my boss told me" reason, which seems to apply
to the OP.