From: cerr on
Hi There,

I would like to start one of my perl scripts out of the one i'm
running and it should have it's parallel process and be totally
decoupled from the currently running script. I tried around with
system("/my/other/script.pl ARG1 ARG2"); and exec("/my/other/script.pl
ARG1 ARG2"); with and without & at the back but nothing quite did it
for me the way i imagined that. What am i doing wrongly?

Thanks,
--
roN
From: Ben Morrow on

Quoth cerr <ron.eggler(a)gmail.com>:

> I would like to start one of my perl scripts out of the one i'm
> running and it should have it's parallel process and be totally
> decoupled from the currently running script. I tried around with
> system("/my/other/script.pl ARG1 ARG2"); and exec("/my/other/script.pl
> ARG1 ARG2"); with and without & at the back but nothing quite did it
> for me the way i imagined that. What am i doing wrongly?

What have you tried exactly, and how is it not doing what you want?

system("... &") will allow the command you run to continue after your
main process exits, and the main process will not be notified when it
exits; it is still partially connected to the original process, though,
since it's still in the same process group and still in the same
session. Both of these can be fixed, if necessary, but you need to be
sure they are what is causing your problem.

Ben

From: cerr on
On Mar 24, 4:17 pm, Ben Morrow <b...(a)morrow.me.uk> wrote:
> Quoth cerr <ron.egg...(a)gmail.com>:
>

> > I would like to start one of my perl scripts out of the one i'm
> > running and it should have it's parallel process and be totally
> > decoupled from the currently running script. I tried around with
> > system("/my/other/script.pl ARG1 ARG2"); and exec("/my/other/script.pl
> > ARG1 ARG2"); with and without & at the back but nothing quite did it
> > for me the way i imagined that. What am i doing wrongly?
>
> What have you tried exactly, and how is it not doing what you want?
>
> system("... &") will allow the command you run to continue after your
> main process exits, and the main process will not be notified when it
> exits; it is still partially connected to the original process, though,
> since it's still in the same process group and still in the same
> session. Both of these can be fixed, if necessary, but you need to be
> sure they are what is causing your problem.

Yeah, I got it going properly now with system("...&"); That in fact
was just a confusion on my side, so nevermind but anyways, thank you
for attempting to help! :)

--
roN