From: Ray Fischer on
Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:15:40 +0100, "whisky-dave"
><whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
>
>>yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
>>can be found here.
>>
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324(a)N00/445987386/
>>
>>Thanks for a short list hopefully.
>
>Your friend is a talented, well travelled shooter. She/you should
>really not be rejecting the type of camera that will do real justice
>to her ability, a DSLR.

Even the best camera cannot take good pictures if it stays at home in
a box. If an SLR is too big then she should get a good compact.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Will T on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:00:10 -0500, Allen <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote:

>whisky-dave wrote:
>> I know I shouldn't ask as it'll invite trolls....
>>
>> but a friend wants to upgrade from her Fujifilm E900.
>>
>> She's not sure she wants to carry around a large DSLR
>>
>> but she likes the Canon powershot SX20 IS.
>>
>> as far as price and technical spec looks like a good contender
>>
>> Things she wants include
>> Having a movie mode that you can zoom in/out while recording.
>> (mainly for gig photography)
>> A widish angle lens 28mm or wider than the fuji is.
>>
>> She likes the menu and control layout of the E900.
>>
>> Other than that is just looking for an overall improvement,
>> whether it's a compact or one of these half arsed DSLRs
>> it doesn't really matter that much.
>>
>> yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
>> can be found here.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324(a)N00/445987386/
>>
>> Thanks for a short list hopefully.
>>

>Most of her subjects cry out for a DSLR. I hope she changes her mind.
>Some beauties in that selection.
>Allen

An incompetent snapshooter who has been brainwashed into thinking that an
overpriced camera and overpriced lenses are the only thing that will save
them from their own failings is the only kind of person that would ever
"cry out for a DSLR" for *ANY* of those shots.

direct need for it.

From: Tim Conway on

"Will T" <nospam(a)noaddress.org> wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:00:10 -0500, Allen <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>whisky-dave wrote:
>>> I know I shouldn't ask as it'll invite trolls....
>>>

> An incompetent snapshooter who has been brainwashed into thinking that an
> overpriced camera and overpriced lenses are the only thing that will save
> them from their own failings is the only kind of person that would ever
> "cry out for a DSLR" for *ANY* of those shots.

> direct need for it.

Looks like you were right, you did invite one. The old troll has a new
name.

Savageduck has ;good advice. The G11 is good or the Nikon 3000 or 5000 also
good choices.
The smaller 4/3 cameras too. Oly, Panasonic etc.