From: Gladys on
Hi, I have a Spartan 3E FPGA starter board of 100K gates. I just want
to do some basic image processing such as dead pixel correction(I just
use black&white images), there is only 8 bits color output and only a
Flash ROM embedded. I want to read RAW format file in which includ the
pixel information, after simple processing, display it on VGA monitor.
My question are:
1 Would my FPGA board suffice for this purpose?
2 If yes, with out extra RAM, how can I get image file into my FPGA?
Your help would be really appreciate!
From: Derek Simmons on
On May 21, 10:38 am, Gladys <yuhu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I have a Spartan 3E FPGA starter board of 100K gates. I just want
> to do some basic image processing such as dead pixel correction(I just
> use black&white images), there is only 8 bits color output and only a
> Flash ROM embedded. I want to read RAW format file in which includ the
> pixel information, after simple processing, display it on VGA monitor.
> My question are:
> 1 Would my FPGA board suffice for this purpose?
> 2 If yes, with out extra RAM, how can I get image file into my FPGA?
> Your help would be really appreciate!

I don't think it is impossible but you might have to change the
criteria. Instead of reading a file use a video image. Working with a
image file would require at least one image buffer but with a video
signal you do just in time processing to the image. Work with an image
of specified resolution and make it something easily displayable on a
VGA monitor.

Another approach, take a look at the XESS (www.xess.com). They have a
some low cost developer boards with Xilinx devices and the boards
contain external memory. If you look at the example files area they
already have a project that reads in an image and displays it. So,
what is left is for you write your pixel processing algorithms and
integrate them into the workflow for displaying the image.

Pages: 1
Prev: Xilinx / Altera
Next: Any V6's available?