From: Steve Sousa on
Hello:

I live in a 230V area but need to use a 120V fan to repair an amplifier.
I can only get 230V fan motors here, so i was wondering if i can simply
remove turns from a 230v shaded pole motor to make it into a 120v one?

Thank you.

From: Sylvia Else on
On 24/06/2010 3:04 PM, Steve Sousa wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I live in a 230V area but need to use a 120V fan to repair an amplifier.
> I can only get 230V fan motors here, so i was wondering if i can simply
> remove turns from a 230v shaded pole motor to make it into a 120v one?
>
> Thank you.

No. It's highly unlikely that the wire used in the motor is more than
100% overspecified, so if you remove turns from it to make it run at the
same speed on 120v, it will overheat, because the current will
approximately double.

Sylvia.
From: PeterD on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:29:35 +1000, Sylvia Else
<sylvia(a)not.here.invalid> wrote:

>On 24/06/2010 3:04 PM, Steve Sousa wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I live in a 230V area but need to use a 120V fan to repair an amplifier.
>> I can only get 230V fan motors here, so i was wondering if i can simply
>> remove turns from a 230v shaded pole motor to make it into a 120v one?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>No. It's highly unlikely that the wire used in the motor is more than
>100% overspecified, so if you remove turns from it to make it run at the
>same speed on 120v, it will overheat, because the current will
>approximately double.
>
>Sylvia.

There is one high labor alternative that might work...

Take the current wire on the motor, and find the center, break it at
that point, so you have two 120 volt windings. Put in parallel for 120
volts, and series for 240 volts.

But, IMHO, hardly worth the effort, but technically feasible.
From: Smitty Two on
In article <4c22e757$0$77541$892e0abb(a)auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,
"Steve Sousa" <etsteve(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I live in a 230V area but need to use a 120V fan to repair an amplifier.
> I can only get 230V fan motors here, so i was wondering if i can simply
> remove turns from a 230v shaded pole motor to make it into a 120v one?
>
> Thank you.

Hmm, I always thought you could get anything on the planet to any other
place on the planet. How could you not be able to get a 120V fan?
From: Sylvia Else on
On 24/06/2010 9:46 PM, PeterD wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:29:35 +1000, Sylvia Else
> <sylvia(a)not.here.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 24/06/2010 3:04 PM, Steve Sousa wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I live in a 230V area but need to use a 120V fan to repair an amplifier.
>>> I can only get 230V fan motors here, so i was wondering if i can simply
>>> remove turns from a 230v shaded pole motor to make it into a 120v one?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>

>> No. It's highly unlikely that the wire used in the motor is more than
>> 100% overspecified, so if you remove turns from it to make it run at the
>> same speed on 120v, it will overheat, because the current will
>> approximately double.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> There is one high labor alternative that might work...
>
> Take the current wire on the motor, and find the center, break it at
> that point, so you have two 120 volt windings. Put in parallel for 120
> volts, and series for 240 volts.
>
> But, IMHO, hardly worth the effort, but technically feasible.

I'm not sure it's advisable either. There's every chance the enamel will
be damaged in the process. If he's lucky, any short will appear as soon
as he turns it on. If he's unlucky, it will occur when he's not looking.

Sylvia.