From: Chris on
I have a computer which was in our domain. I put it back to Workgroup and
want to change its local security settings. But when launched Local Security
Policy under Administrative Tools it showed a lock on Security Settings icon.
Also got a lock on Account Policies and Local Policies. I only can view the
settings not to change. I believe it's due to GPO from our domain. How can
I remove/disable the GPO or get around so I can modify the local security
policy. I'm logged in as local admin.

Thanks.
From: John Wunderlich on
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?= <Chris(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I have a computer which was in our domain. I put it back to
> Workgroup and want to change its local security settings. But
> when launched Local Security Policy under Administrative Tools it
> showed a lock on Security Settings icon. Also got a lock on
> Account Policies and Local Policies. I only can view the settings
> not to change. I believe it's due to GPO from our domain. How
> can I remove/disable the GPO or get around so I can modify the
> local security policy. I'm logged in as local admin.
>
> Thanks.

It's not easy or pretty, but in the past I've been able to do what
you're trying to do by using the "secedit" command. Start by:

Start -> Help & Support -> then type "secedit" in the search box.

HTH,
John
From: John Wunderlich on
John Wunderlich <jwunderlich(a)lycos.com> wrote in

> =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?= <Chris(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
>> I have a computer which was in our domain. I put it back to
>> Workgroup and want to change its local security settings. But
>> when launched Local Security Policy under Administrative Tools it
>> showed a lock on Security Settings icon. Also got a lock on
>> Account Policies and Local Policies. I only can view the settings
>> not to change. I believe it's due to GPO from our domain. How
>> can I remove/disable the GPO or get around so I can modify the
>> local security policy. I'm logged in as local admin.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> It's not easy or pretty, but in the past I've been able to do what
> you're trying to do by using the "secedit" command. Start by:
>
> Start -> Help & Support -> then type "secedit" in the search box.
>
> HTH,
> John

Also see:
"How do I restore security settings to the default settings?"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222>

HTH,
John