From: MZ on
/etc/fstab includes the line...

/dev/acd0 /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0

....but it doesn't mount. ls /cdrom turns up an empty directory.

I put in a music cd I just bought new. /dev lists acd0 along with
acd0t01, acd0t02, etc. for each track.

cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 info lists 13 tracks and their lengths. The
drive is, apparently, recognizing the cd. But when I try to mount it...

mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom

I get mount_cd9660: /dev/acd0: Invalid argument

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?
From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
MZ wrote:
> /etc/fstab includes the line...
>
> /dev/acd0 /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
>
> ...but it doesn't mount. ls /cdrom turns up an empty directory.
>
> I put in a music cd I just bought new. /dev lists acd0 along with
> acd0t01, acd0t02, etc. for each track.
>
> cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 info lists 13 tracks and their lengths. The
> drive is, apparently, recognizing the cd. But when I try to mount it...
>
> mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom
>
> I get mount_cd9660: /dev/acd0: Invalid argument
>
> Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

You cab't mount audio cds. They do not have an ISO filesystem on them,
and can't be mounted.
Read the chapter about CDs in the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
From: Spam on
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, MZ wrote:
> /etc/fstab includes the line...
>
> /dev/acd0 /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
>
> ...but it doesn't mount. ls /cdrom turns up an empty directory.
>
> I put in a music cd I just bought new. /dev lists acd0 along with acd0t01,
> acd0t02, etc. for each track.
>
> cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 info lists 13 tracks and their lengths. The drive is,
> apparently, recognizing the cd. But when I try to mount it...
>
> mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom
>
> I get mount_cd9660: /dev/acd0: Invalid argument
>
> Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

I believe that you've answered your own question. Music CD's do *NOT*
have an ISO9660 file system inscribed upon them, and therefore cannot be
mounted as part of a filesystem. They can be played, ripped, copied or
burned, or as with cdcontrol -- listed, but not mounted.

What exactly are you attempting to accomplish??

Check the handbook ... and pay particular attention to section 18.6 and
18.7 for additional info on CD's.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks.html

HTH... Cheers,
Rob Sciuk

From: MZ on
Spam(a)ControlQ.com wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, MZ wrote:
>> /etc/fstab includes the line...
>>
>> /dev/acd0 /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
>>
>> ...but it doesn't mount. ls /cdrom turns up an empty directory.
>>
>> I put in a music cd I just bought new. /dev lists acd0 along with
>> acd0t01, acd0t02, etc. for each track.
>>
>> cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 info lists 13 tracks and their lengths. The
>> drive is, apparently, recognizing the cd. But when I try to mount it...
>>
>> mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom
>>
>> I get mount_cd9660: /dev/acd0: Invalid argument
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what's wrong?
>>

> I believe that you've answered your own question. Music CD's do *NOT*
> have an ISO9660 file system inscribed upon them, and therefore cannot be
> mounted as part of a filesystem. They can be played, ripped, copied or
> burned, or as with cdcontrol -- listed, but not mounted.
>
> What exactly are you attempting to accomplish??
>
> Check the handbook ... and pay particular attention to section 18.6 and
> 18.7 for additional info on CD's.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks.html
>
> HTH... Cheers,
> Rob Sciuk

Thank you both for the replies. I'm trying to use LAME to encode them
to mp3. I've found the ripping part of the handbook and will use the
cdda2wav tool.
From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
MZ wrote:
> Thank you both for the replies. I'm trying to use LAME to encode them
> to mp3. I've found the ripping part of the handbook and will use the
> cdda2wav tool.

FWIW, I use abcde[1] from ports for audio CDs.