From: The Derfer on
Basic problem: one host (a Solaris 9 server) can use my e-mail relay
fine.
Another one (a RHEL5 host) cannot.
The relay box itself is a RHEL5 box that can see the internet.

These 2 log entries represent e-mails sent from the 2 different hosts
to "username(a)whatever.com"
The one at 3:25 is from the Solaris 9 box.
That mail got there.
The one at 3:43 is from the RHEL5 host.
It didn't.
Why does one get there and the other not? What do I need to change
to make it work
for the RHEL5 box? This has stumped me for MONTHS. Please help!
Thank you.

[Names and IPs partially anonymized.]

[root(a)relaybox username]# tail -1000 /var/log/maillog |grep username

Mar 18 03:25:42 relaybox sendmail[11763]: o2I7PbSk011761:
to=<username(a)whatever.com>, delay=00:00:05, xdelay=00:00:05,
mailer=esmtp, pri=120561, relay=thebox.whatever.com. [a.b.c.d],
dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (o2I7PdUG013491 Message accepted for delivery)

Mar 18 03:43:04 relaybox sendmail[12530]: o2I7dU0i012349:
to=<username(a)whatever.com>, delay=00:00:04, xdelay=00:00:04,
mailer=esmtp, pri=120559, relay=thebox.whatever.com. [a.b.c.d],
dsn=5.1.8, stat=User unknown

From: Grant Taylor on
The Derfer wrote:
> Basic problem: one host (a Solaris 9 server) can use my e-mail relay
> fine. Another one (a RHEL5 host) cannot. The relay box itself is a
> RHEL5 box that can see the internet.
>
> These 2 log entries represent e-mails sent from the 2 different hosts
> to "username(a)whatever.com". The one at 3:25 is from the Solaris 9
> box. That mail got there. The one at 3:43 is from the RHEL5 host.
> It didn't. Why does one get there and the other not? What do I
> need to change to make it work for the RHEL5 box? This has stumped
> me for MONTHS. Please help! Thank you.

With out more details to go on, I'm going to question if the problem is
related to the sending email address.

Please provide complete logs (including "from=<...>") for message IDs
o2I7PbSk011761 and o2I7dU0i012349.

Grant. . . .
From: The Derfer on
On Mar 18, 7:50 pm, Grant Taylor <gtay...(a)riverviewtech.net> wrote:
> The Derfer wrote:
> > Basic problem: one host (a Solaris 9 server) can use my e-mail relay
> > fine.  Another one (a RHEL5 host) cannot.  The relay box itself is a
> > RHEL5 box that can see the internet.
>
> > These 2 log entries represent e-mails sent from the 2 different hosts
> > to "usern...(a)whatever.com".  The one at 3:25 is from the Solaris 9
> > box.  That mail got there.  The one at 3:43 is from the RHEL5 host.
> >  It didn't.  Why does one get there and the other not?  What do I
> > need to change to make it work for the RHEL5 box?  This has stumped
> > me for MONTHS.  Please help!  Thank you.
>
> With out more details to go on, I'm going to question if the problem is
> related to the sending email address.
>
> Please provide complete logs (including "from=<...>") for message IDs
> o2I7PbSk011761 and o2I7dU0i012349.
>
> Grant. . . .

The from address on the o2I7PbSk011761 is the FQDN of the box from
which the message originates <username(a)abc.def.com> (for example).

For the failed message, it is also that same type of From: addressm
just a different
box.

From: The Derfer on
On Mar 26, 11:24 pm, The Derfer <derf...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 7:50 pm, Grant Taylor <gtay...(a)riverviewtech.net> wrote:

> > The Derfer wrote:
> > > Basic problem: one host (a Solaris 9 server) can use my e-mail relay
> > > fine.  Another one (a RHEL5 host) cannot.  The relay box itself is a
> > > RHEL5 box that can see the internet.
>
> > > These 2 log entries represent e-mails sent from the 2 different hosts
> > > to "usern...(a)whatever.com".  The one at 3:25 is from the Solaris 9
> > > box.  That mail got there.  The one at 3:43 is from the RHEL5 host.
> > >  It didn't.  Why does one get there and the other not?  What do I
> > > need to change to make it work for the RHEL5 box?  This has stumped
> > > me for MONTHS.  Please help!  Thank you.
>
> > With out more details to go on, I'm going to question if the problem is
> > related to the sending email address.
>
> > Please provide complete logs (including "from=<...>") for message IDs
> > o2I7PbSk011761 and o2I7dU0i012349.
>
> > Grant. . . .

One other interesting observation:
The mail relay server can telnet to port 25 on the Solaris 9 hosts
(which send
mail through the relay fine) but telnet fails from the relay server to
port 25 on the
RHEL5 box.
Is that significant and if so, is there a workaround for it?

From: Grant Taylor on
The Derfer wrote:
> The mail relay server can telnet to port 25 on the Solaris 9 hosts
> (which send mail through the relay fine) but telnet fails from the
> relay server to port 25 on the RHEL5 box.
>
> Is that significant and if so, is there a workaround for it?

No, I don't think that the relay needs to be able to connect to port 25
on the other RHEL box. This could be caused by the lack of an SMTP
server and / or a stateful firewall on the other RHEL box. This in and
of its self is not of much diagnostic use. The only thing that this
hints at is a possibility of a communications failure between the two
RHEL boxen.

It is entirely possible that the RHEL box that is the problem is
connecting from a high port to port 25 on the RHEL relay.

Grant. . . .