From: lcplben on
Hi everyone --

My environment: Win XP Pro SP3, .NET Framework 2.0

Because of a virus, I reloaded XP and its SP3. Before reloading XP,
I'd been using VS2005 with no problems. But now, after reloading XP,
VS2005 devenv.exe will not run, complaining of missing DLLs, the
latest being that MSVCR80.dll is not found. The error is not about an
unloadable application -- we've seen plenty of those -- but about
VIsual Studio 2005 itself.

I concluded that I needed SP1, so downloaded and tried to run VS80sp1-
KB926601-X86-ENU.exe (442,035KB).

That program ran for 20 mins or so, then quit with "The upgrade patch
cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the
program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update
a different version of the program."

So: what have I done wrong, or what am I missing, that I can't apply
SP1 against VS2005?

Thanks!

-- ben

From: PvdG42 on

"lcplben" <ben(a)sellmycalls.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone --
>
> My environment: Win XP Pro SP3, .NET Framework 2.0
>
> Because of a virus, I reloaded XP and its SP3. Before reloading XP,
> I'd been using VS2005 with no problems. But now, after reloading XP,
> VS2005 devenv.exe will not run, complaining of missing DLLs, the
> latest being that MSVCR80.dll is not found. The error is not about an
> unloadable application -- we've seen plenty of those -- but about
> VIsual Studio 2005 itself.
>
> I concluded that I needed SP1, so downloaded and tried to run VS80sp1-
> KB926601-X86-ENU.exe (442,035KB).
>
> That program ran for 20 mins or so, then quit with "The upgrade patch
> cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the
> program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update
> a different version of the program."
>
> So: what have I done wrong, or what am I missing, that I can't apply
> SP1 against VS2005?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- ben

Not sure why you posted a VS setup question in this C++ group, but please
note the crosspost address in this reply and move there.
When you post further, please supply details, such as: did you format your
OS partition and install XP SP3 clean, followed by clean installs of your
apps? I ask because your symptoms sound like you're dealing with remnants.

From: lcplben on
On Jan 23, 9:16 am, "PvdG42" <pvd...(a)toadstool.edu> wrote:
> "lcplben" <b...(a)sellmycalls.com> wrote in message

> > Hi everyone --
>
> > My environment: Win XP Pro SP3, .NET Framework 2.0
>
> > Because of a virus, I reloaded XP and its SP3. Before reloading XP,
> > I'd been using VS2005 with no problems. But now, after reloading XP,
> > VS2005 devenv.exe will not run, complaining of missing DLLs, the
> > latest being that MSVCR80.dll is not found. The error is not about an
> > unloadable application -- we've seen plenty of those -- but about
> > VIsual Studio 2005 itself.
>
> > I concluded that I needed SP1, so downloaded and tried to run VS80sp1-
> > KB926601-X86-ENU.exe (442,035KB).
>
> > That program ran for 20 mins or so, then quit with "The upgrade patch
> > cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the
> > program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update
> > a different version of the program."
>
> > So: what have I done wrong, or what am I missing, that I can't apply
> > SP1 against VS2005?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > -- ben
>
> Not sure why you posted a VS setup question in this C++ group, but please
> note the crosspost address in this reply and move there.
> When you post further, please supply details, such as: did you format your
> OS partition and install XP SP3 clean, followed by clean installs of your
> apps? I ask because your symptoms sound like you're dealing with remnants..

Oops! Sorry to be OT. Thanks for mentioning the better newsgroups and
yes, it certainly does feel like remnants might be the problem.

-- ben