From: Richard Lanyon Richard on
I have just updated an existing SQL Server Express server to SQL Server
Developer Edition 9.0.1399. In general this has worked fine, but I cannot
create a Maintenance Plan, either using the Wizard or by using "New
Maintenance Plan..." The latter brings up a dialog saying that:

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (mscorlib)
Additional Information: An OLE DB error 0x80004005 (Client unable to
establish connection) occurred while enumerating packages. A SQL statement
was issued and failed.

while the SQL Server log says:

Error: 17828, Severity: 20, State: 3.
The prelogin packet used to open the connection is structurally invalid; the
connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library.
[CLIENT: <local machine>]
From: MMD on
Hi Richard

i would upgrade to sp2 and try to create a MP again.

MMD

From: MMD on
Hi Richard

From: Richard Lanyon on
"MMD" wrote:

> i would upgrade to sp2 and try to create a MP again.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the database machine in this case is already
running XP Professional SP3 (actually it was upgraded to SP3 at the same time
as I upgraded the database).
From: MMD on
Hi Richard

i was talking about upgrading the database engine wich is on build 9.00.1399
(RTM); when you install Sp2 for Sql Server 2005 the build is upgraded to
9.00.3054

Regards