From: Michael on
I was taking apart a broken rechargeable razor, and found a 0.15 uF,
250V capacitor in series with the primary of the (tiny) transformer.
The tiny <1 cu. in capacitor was to charge a NiCd battery.

What is the function of this capacitor?

Can the transformer safely function without the capacitor in series?
From: George Herold on
On Apr 27, 11:55 am, Michael <mrdarr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I was taking apart a broken rechargeable razor, and found a 0.15 uF,
> 250V capacitor in series with the primary of the (tiny) transformer.
> The tiny <1 cu. in capacitor was to charge a NiCd battery.
>
> What is the function of this capacitor?
>
> Can the transformer safely function without the capacitor in series?

Sounds like it was there to limit the current... at 60 Hz 0.15uF looks
to be a bit more than 10k ohm....(Assuming I'm ready the chart
correctly.. I'm too lazy to punch in the numbers.) something like
100mA of current.

George H.
From: Michael on
On Apr 27, 11:56 am, George Herold <ggher...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 27, 11:55 am, Michael <mrdarr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was taking apart a broken rechargeable razor, and found a 0.15 uF,
> > 250V capacitor in series with the primary of the (tiny) transformer.
> > The tiny <1 cu. in capacitor was to charge a NiCd battery.
>
> > What is the function of this capacitor?
>
> > Can the transformer safely function without the capacitor in series?
>
> Sounds like it was there to limit the current... at 60 Hz 0.15uF looks
> to be a bit more than 10k ohm....(Assuming I'm ready the chart
> correctly.. I'm too lazy to punch in the numbers.)   something like
> 100mA of current.
>
> George H.

Ah, so would a 10k resistor in series with the primary do something
similar?

Seems odd they would choose a capacitor...?

Also I realized I made a mistake: the TRANSFORMER was less than 1 cu.
in., not the capacitor.

It's a really cute transformer; I was planning to desolder it for use
elsewhere, but wondered what would happen if say a couple of 1.2V NiCd
batts want to suck too much current from the secondary...

Thanks,

Michael
From: whit3rd on
On Apr 27, 8:55 am, Michael <mrdarr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I was taking apart a broken rechargeable razor, and found a 0.15 uF,
> 250V capacitor in series with the primary of the (tiny) transformer.
> The tiny <1 cu. in capacitor was to charge a NiCd battery.
>
> What is the function of this capacitor?

It's a ballast (current-limiting) component; probably
the transformer will burn up if you short across it.
The capacitor doesn't heat up like a resistor, and is
cheaper than a series inductor.

It's a common trick, seen in lots of plug-in-the-wall emergency
flashlights.
From: Tim Wescott on
Michael wrote:
> On Apr 27, 11:56 am, George Herold <ggher...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 27, 11:55 am, Michael <mrdarr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was taking apart a broken rechargeable razor, and found a 0.15 uF,
>>> 250V capacitor in series with the primary of the (tiny) transformer.
>>> The tiny <1 cu. in capacitor was to charge a NiCd battery.
>>> What is the function of this capacitor?
>>> Can the transformer safely function without the capacitor in series?
>> Sounds like it was there to limit the current... at 60 Hz 0.15uF looks
>> to be a bit more than 10k ohm....(Assuming I'm ready the chart
>> correctly.. I'm too lazy to punch in the numbers.) something like
>> 100mA of current.
>>
>> George H.
>

> Ah, so would a 10k resistor in series with the primary do something
> similar?

Only very vaguely. That cap may also be there for galvanic isolation
from the mains.

> Seems odd they would choose a capacitor...?

The cap limits current without dissipating heat. A 10k resistor with
120V across it will dissipate 1.5W (120V^2 / 10k). Assuming that most
of the voltage drop is in the cap, you'd throw away more energy to heat
than you would spend charging the battery.

> Also I realized I made a mistake: the TRANSFORMER was less than 1 cu.
> in., not the capacitor.
>
> It's a really cute transformer; I was planning to desolder it for use
> elsewhere, but wondered what would happen if say a couple of 1.2V NiCd
> batts want to suck too much current from the secondary...

They wouldn't, because the capacitor would limit the current -- if you
left it in there.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com