From: mm on
A friend has a laptop and some zip disks, and a good zipdrive in a
broken computer.

Is there an external case available that he can mount the zip drive in
and plug it all in to the laptop with USB?

I already have cases like that for 3.5 and laptop harddrives, but my
googling for this has been unsuccessful. If I know there is such a
thing, I'll keep looking.

Thanks.
From: terryc on
mm wrote:
> A friend has a laptop and some zip disks, and a good zipdrive in a
> broken computer.
>
> Is there an external case available that he can mount the zip drive in

Anything that will take a floppy drive.

> and plug it all in to the laptop with USB?

What bus did they plug into? you want such a case. if it exists.
From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) on
On 6/6/2010 12:50, mm wrote:
> A friend has a laptop and some zip disks, and a good zipdrive in a
> broken computer.

Tell your friend to transfer all data from the zip disks into DVD-R as
soon as possible! The disks could go bad in no time!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34
From: John McGaw on
On 6/6/2010 12:50 AM, mm wrote:
> A friend has a laptop and some zip disks, and a good zipdrive in a
> broken computer.
>
> Is there an external case available that he can mount the zip drive in
> and plug it all in to the laptop with USB?
>
> I already have cases like that for 3.5 and laptop harddrives, but my
> googling for this has been unsuccessful. If I know there is such a
> thing, I'll keep looking.
>
> Thanks.

Why not just beg/borrow/steal a working desktop computer of similar vintage
and temporarily install the ZIP drive in that? It would then be possible to
copy the contents of the ZIP disks to some other medium which is compatible
with a modern computer. I suggest similar vintage to ensure that the
system's BIOS will recognize that obsolete medium -- I don't think that any
but my oldest system would admit that ZIP drives even exist. This seems to
be the path of least resistance.
From: Bryce on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:

> On 6/6/2010 12:50, mm wrote:
>> A friend has a laptop and some zip disks, and a good
>> zipdrive in a broken computer.
>
> Tell your friend to transfer all data from the zip disks
> into DVD-R as soon as possible! The disks could go bad in
> no time!

One of my clients began using Zip disks for daily data
backup in 1997: six disks used in rotation, one for each
business day in the week. I tested the disks periodically to
assure safe backups, with plans to replace older disks with
new when a failure showed up. They used the same six disks
(and the same Zip drive) for ten years without a single
failure.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Completely removing Deep freeze remnants
Next: Paul