From: christianlott1 on
what would cause a program to run on regular kernal and not on jiffy
dos? Would it need to make a non vectored call, use it's own code on
$dd00, or is it more complicated?
From: rusure on
On Nov 26, 5:16 pm, christianlott1 <christianlo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> what would cause a program to run on regular kernal and not on jiffy
> dos? Would it need to make a non vectored call, use it's own code on
> $dd00, or is it more complicated?

My problems with JD occur in prorams written before JD that use
moduals replicating JD functions. Problematic moduals are program
locations to be avoided when JD is used.

From: bluebirdpod on
On Nov 26, 8:48 pm, rusure <r_u_s...(a)mybluelight.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 5:16 pm, christianlott1 <christianlo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > what would cause a program to run on regular kernal and not on jiffy
> > dos? Would it need to make a non vectored call, use it's own code on
> > $dd00, or is it more complicated?
>
> My problems with JD occur in prorams written before JD that use
> moduals replicating JD functions. Problematic moduals are program
> locations to be avoided when JD is used.

well since there are about a zillion endless possibilities for
software fastloaders to cause conflicts, you know there
was a nice feature integrated into all LEGIT produced Jiffy Dos chips,
you know what its called ?? a switch !
that swaps out the JD kernal, and swaps back in the CBM normal
kernal.

you know what Epyx sold the most of, it was their best seller, all
time, until they went out of business.
it was the FAST LOAD cartridge. Which is quite compatible with most
older file loading programs.
From: Clocky on

"bluebirdpod" <bluebirdpod(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Nov 26, 8:48 pm, rusure <r_u_s...(a)mybluelight.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 5:16 pm, christianlott1 <christianlo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > what would cause a program to run on regular kernal and not on jiffy
> > dos? Would it need to make a non vectored call, use it's own code on
> > $dd00, or is it more complicated?
>
> My problems with JD occur in prorams written before JD that use
> moduals replicating JD functions. Problematic moduals are program
> locations to be avoided when JD is used.

well since there are about a zillion endless possibilities for
software fastloaders to cause conflicts, you know there
was a nice feature integrated into all LEGIT produced Jiffy Dos chips,
you know what its called ?? a switch !

Not all legit JiffyDOS ROMs had a switch, and not all illegit ROMs don't
have a switch ;-)

@Q disables the JiffyDOS commands also but I'm not sure if that fixes
compatibility.

From: rusure on
On Dec 2, 8:47 am, bluebirdpod <bluebird...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 8:48 pm, rusure <r_u_s...(a)mybluelight.com> wrote:

> > My problems with JD occur in prorams written before JD that use
> > moduals replicating JD functions. Problematic moduals are program
> > locations to be avoided when JD is used.
>
> well since there are about a zillion endless possibilities for
> software fastloaders to cause conflicts, you know there
> was a nice feature integrated into all LEGIT produced Jiffy Dos chips,
> you know what its called ?? a switch !
> that swaps out the JD kernal, and swaps back in the CBM normal
> kernal.
>
> you know what Epyx sold the most of, it was their best seller, all
> time, until they went out of business.
> it was the FAST LOAD cartridge. Which is quite compatible with most
> older file loading programs.

I revised a fast loading program written by Michael Miller (of BIG
BLUE READER fame) that appeared in the December 1989 issue of RUN. It
accelerates loading from both 1571 and 1581 drives in C64 mode. Since
I am using a CMD hard drive, I will have to use a crowbar to remove
the fastloader and DOS wedge from my assembler supporting package. I
haven't done much programming lately, so I haven;t done much to make
the package compatible with JD and hard drives.