From: CeDeROM on
Hello world!

Simple and tricky question - who can burn a 4.4GB file to a DVD+/-R
disk on his FreeBSD? ;-)

I am wondering why FreeBSD still uses obsolete dvd+rw-tools package by
default instead of cdrkit. The main disadvantage of the dvd+rw-tools
is that it is based on a mkisofs and so it cannot write files larger
than 4GB to a DVD/Bluray disks (the same is for creating iso images).
Due to some licensing problems [1] cdrtools project split up and
cdrkit with genisoimage came to the light.

After over an hour of googling it turned out that this is the filesize
>4GB is a limitation of ISO9660 itself, that could be bypassed with
some 3rd level extensions of ISO but disk burned this way using
brasero did not contain any files after mount (and it was burned only
to the halt looking with at the disk). The only solution to burn disks
without max filesize limit is to use UDF filesystem, that can be
generated with genisoimage from cdrkit - and this is what I did and it
gave me working dvd disk with one file size over 4GB (#pkg_add -rf
cdrkit; %genisoimage -o- -udf -allow-limited-size * | wodim -v
dev=1,0,0 -dao tsize=2288962s - )...

Why do I ask about cdrtools? Because they seems to be still a source
of dependencies to the system:
# pkg_delete -x cdrtools
pkg_delete: package 'cdrtools-2.01_7' is required by these other
packages
and may not be deinstalled:
dvd+rw-tools-7.1
brasero-2.26.3_1
rhythmbox-0.12.5
gnome2-fifth-toe-2.26.3_1
sound-juicer-2.26.1_1
gnome2-2.26.3
tkdvd-4.0.9_2

Does anyone have experience with this kind of project forking and its
further implications? Would it be safe to switch default for cdrkit? I
could not find any clear solution to this problem on the net, while it
looks that moving from cdrtools to cdrkit is the working one..

Best regards,
Tomek

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cdrkit
From: Bill Laird on
CeDeROM wrote:

> Hello world!
>
> Simple and tricky question - who can burn a 4.4GB file to a DVD+/-R
> disk on his FreeBSD? ;-)
>
> I am wondering why FreeBSD still uses obsolete dvd+rw-tools package by
> default instead of cdrkit. The main disadvantage of the dvd+rw-tools
> is that it is based on a mkisofs and so it cannot write files larger
> than 4GB to a DVD/Bluray disks (the same is for creating iso images).
> Due to some licensing problems [1] cdrtools project split up and
> cdrkit with genisoimage came to the light.
>
> After over an hour of googling it turned out that this is the filesize
>>4GB is a limitation of ISO9660 itself, that could be bypassed with
> some 3rd level extensions of ISO but disk burned this way using
> brasero did not contain any files after mount (and it was burned only
> to the halt looking with at the disk). The only solution to burn disks
> without max filesize limit is to use UDF filesystem, that can be
> generated with genisoimage from cdrkit - and this is what I did and it
> gave me working dvd disk with one file size over 4GB (#pkg_add -rf
> cdrkit; %genisoimage -o- -udf -allow-limited-size * | wodim -v
> dev=1,0,0 -dao tsize=2288962s - )...
>
> Why do I ask about cdrtools? Because they seems to be still a source
> of dependencies to the system:
> # pkg_delete -x cdrtools
> pkg_delete: package 'cdrtools-2.01_7' is required by these other
> packages
> and may not be deinstalled:
> dvd+rw-tools-7.1
> brasero-2.26.3_1
> rhythmbox-0.12.5
> gnome2-fifth-toe-2.26.3_1
> sound-juicer-2.26.1_1
> gnome2-2.26.3
> tkdvd-4.0.9_2
>
> Does anyone have experience with this kind of project forking and its
> further implications? Would it be safe to switch default for cdrkit? I
> could not find any clear solution to this problem on the net, while it
> looks that moving from cdrtools to cdrkit is the working one..
>
> Best regards,
> Tomek
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cdrkit

A wee bit off real topic but:
One may also wonder why UDF media (produced by default under Windows Vista/
7) is rejected by photo processing shops (Australia). Even if they use
Windows XP a simple and free UDF reader is available but we still get
people in wanting media converted to standard ISO9660
Perhaps many, like FreeBSD find "obsolite" ISO adequate.
Personally have no need/ desire for massive files...

A small Linux distro I've used since 2007 still defaults to KDE 3.5 though
4.x is available, still has much the same software aboard but now takes at
least three times longer to start than does windows 7 or FreeBSD on the
same system. The 'popular' do it all distros take even longer.

FreeBSD 8 has come a long way - USB devices etc.
Well done considering the somewhat smaller development team.

Never mind I do rave on at times...

--

Bill
FreeBSD 8.0 on Intel Atom N280
From: Clemens Zauner on
CeDeROM <tomek.cedro(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am wondering why FreeBSD still uses obsolete dvd+rw-tools package by

In which way 'obsolete'?

> default instead of cdrkit. The main disadvantage of the dvd+rw-tools
> is that it is based on a mkisofs and so it cannot write files larger

You mean ISO-Images, right?

> than 4GB to a DVD/Bluray disks (the same is for creating iso images).
> Due to some licensing problems [1] cdrtools project split up and
> cdrkit with genisoimage came to the light.

I assume, that the 'licensing problem' (h�mhm, those gnu guys are
fans of Newspeak, aren't they?) are of minor concerns to FreeBSD.
Compare some parts of the FreeBSD-Kernel, as lets say ZFS.

> After over an hour of googling it turned out that this is the filesize
>>4GB is a limitation of ISO9660 itself, that could be bypassed with

correct. To be precise a limitation of ISO 9660 Level 1 and Level 2
images.

> some 3rd level extensions of ISO but disk burned this way using
> brasero did not contain any files after mount (and it was burned only
> to the halt looking with at the disk). The only solution to burn disks
> without max filesize limit is to use UDF filesystem, that can be

from 'man mkisofs':

-udf Include UDF support in the generated filesystem image. [...]

and if you use a sector size of 2k you should be able to generate iso-images
upto 8TB (using Level 3).

> Does anyone have experience with this kind of project forking and its
> further implications? Would it be safe to switch default for cdrkit? I
> could not find any clear solution to this problem on the net, while it
> looks that moving from cdrtools to cdrkit is the working one..

Nope, but a year ago I was forced t use the cdrkit-stuff under debian
and ended up copying the files to my laptop and burning there (under
FreeBSD). Maybe the cdrkit-guys have fixed some of the observed minor
issues since then.

HTH
Clemens.
--
/"\ http://czauner.onlineloop.com/
\ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
From: CeDeROM on
Hello all and at first thank you for explaining patiently!
Now I can understand that the problem is with the cdrkit, not the
cdrtools, and the cdrkit is the obsolete and a dead end of this fork.
Please forgive me but I could not find it explictly on the net! :-)
The reason of my questioning is that genisoimage did the job while
mkisofs did not... however now I know that is was not done right,
with a trick, so I forget about cdrkit, but I still need support with
burning large files on FreeBSD...
The tricks people offer at places like ubuntuforums are really funny -
to split that file into pieces, then burn, and concatenate them after
mount. I don't really believe there is no working solution to burn DVD
disks with one-file-size over 4GB.

I have used brasero to burn my dvd disk with file over 4GB in size -
it did use iso level 3 but the disk did not work after all (it seemded
to be only half baked looking at the bottom side).

Running mkisofs by hand with switches that you have proposed does not
work:

%mkisofs -iso-level 3 -o ../dvd.iso *
mkisofs: Value too large to be stored in data type. File blah.xyz is
too large - ignoring
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Max brk space used 31b84
174 extents written (0 MB)
%mkisofs -udf -o ../dvd.iso *
mkisofs: Value too large to be stored in data type. File blah.xyz is
too large - ignoring
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Max brk space used 31b84
417 extents written (0 MB)

Clemens Zauner: The -udf does not work
Joerg Schilling: I can see only -iso-level switch (not -isolevel) but
is does not work neither.

I am using version 2.01 provided with 8.0 release binaries.
%mkisofs -version
mkisofs 2.01 (i386-unknown-freebsd8.0)

There is only one file under the star... I dont think also that the
problem could be caused by a file larger than a disk capacity, because
I do not burn at this level , only create an iso file.. so it could be
used by a double layer dvd (8GB) or bluray (even more that is too much
for me anyway).

Please advise,
Tomek
From: Warren Block on
CeDeROM <tomek.cedro(a)gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> I am using version 2.01 provided with 8.0 release binaries.
> %mkisofs -version
> mkisofs 2.01 (i386-unknown-freebsd8.0)

That would be sysutils/cdrtools from ports. The most recent version is
called cdrtools-devel, currently 2.01.01a72.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: 9,000 ZFS mount points
Next: No internet access