From: spoon2001 on
My friend is getting the following message when starting up OE:

Internet Security Warning
The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could
not be verified.
The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value.
Do you want to continue using this server?
Yes No

I looked at the security certificates on my own system. In Outlook
Express, I selected Tools - Options - Security - Digital IDs. The
Certificates dialog shows a list certificates under several tabs: Personal,
Other People, Intermediate Certification Authorities, Trusted Root
Certification Authorities, Trusted Publishers, Untrusted Publishers.

On my system, I have well over 100 certificates listed in these tabs! How
do I know which certificate is causing the problem?

From: Michael Santovec on
The message is not talking about your digital ids.

On his PC he has specified Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties, Advanced
to use SSL for the POP3 mail server. The certificate that the POP3 mail
server responds with does not match the POP3 server name on the Servers
tab.

This would point to one of several causes:

- He's using an alias or IP address for the POP3 server name
- He's using an anti-virus scanning e-mail or anti-spam program and it
is screwing up the SSL processing
- The mail service has an error in their certificate.

From: spoon2001 on
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:14:55 -0800, Michael Santovec wrote:

> The message is not talking about your digital ids.
>
> On his PC he has specified Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties, Advanced
> to use SSL for the POP3 mail server. The certificate that the POP3 mail
> server responds with does not match the POP3 server name on the Servers
> tab.
>
> This would point to one of several causes:
>
> - He's using an alias or IP address for the POP3 server name
> - He's using an anti-virus scanning e-mail or anti-spam program and it
> is screwing up the SSL processing
> - The mail service has an error in their certificate.

Thanks Michael. I had him gave him server names to type in, as well as
SMTP and POP3 port numbers for SSL. Not sure what did the trick, but he
reports the problem is gone.
From: Michael Santovec on
You are welcome and thanks for posting back.