From: Ferenc Kovacs on
On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Sascha Meyer <harlequin2(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Tyrael,
> Hi Earl,
>
> Tyrael wrote:
>> 5.3 brings a lot of improvements and a couple of new features, but it
>> can be some incompatibility issues with the pre 5.3 applications. ...
>
> most applications should work both with the PHP 5.2 and 5.3 branch, i.e. phpmyadmin is available for PHP 5 and there is a separate version available for PHP 3+4.

I know, but for example mediawiki is know to be incompatible with 5.3
at this time, so this kind of problems exists.

From: "Earl" on
I have downloaded and installed PHP versions: 5.2.9-2, 5.2.10, 5.2.12,
5.3.0, and lastly 5.3.1. Originally when installed each version gave a CGI
error and nothing associated with PHP would work. I did get 5.3.1 to
install and operate without the CGI error. I was able to access phpinfo and
some PHP web pages.

In each case after long hours of frustration I have gone back to PHP 5.2.9,
and it just works! ! !

I have in fact downloaded the latest versions of the tools previously
mentioned, all the tools work with 5.2.9, anything beyond that and the
pages/interfaces do not open. I find no PHP specific errors in the event
viewer. The only error I find in the server log relates to use of local
time versus a time zone, and only deals with Nucleus.

From: "Sascha Meyer" on
Hi Earl,

Earl wrote:
> I have downloaded and installed PHP versions: 5.2.9-2, 5.2.10, 5.2.12,
> 5.3.0, and lastly 5.3.1. Originally when installed each version gave a
> CGI
> error and nothing associated with PHP would work. I did get 5.3.1 to
> install and operate without the CGI error. I was able to access phpinfo
> and
> some PHP web pages.
>
> In each case after long hours of frustration I have gone back to PHP
> 5.2.9,
> and it just works! ! !
>
> I have in fact downloaded the latest versions of the tools previously
> mentioned, all the tools work with 5.2.9, anything beyond that and the
> pages/interfaces do not open. I find no PHP specific errors in the event
> viewer. The only error I find in the server log relates to use of local
> time versus a time zone, and only deals with Nucleus.

do you have to use Xitami as webserver? I would advice to use Apache2 to test if the problems persist with the various PHP branches and steppings.
PHP will not automatically log errors, you first have to enable it through the "error_reporting", "log_errors" and "error_log" directives directives in php.ini. Restart your webserver and check again if errors are logged now.
--
Preisknaller: GMX DSL Flatrate f�r nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02
From: Ferenc Kovacs on
On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Earl <tnelms(a)sw.rr.com> wrote:
> I have downloaded and installed PHP versions:  5.2.9-2, 5.2.10, 5.2.12,
> 5.3.0, and lastly 5.3.1.  Originally when installed each version gave a CGI
> error and nothing associated with PHP would work.  I did get 5.3.1 to
> install and operate without the CGI error.  I was able to access phpinfo and
> some PHP web pages.
>
> In each case after long hours of frustration I have gone back to PHP 5.2.9,
> and it just works! ! !
>
> I have in fact downloaded the latest versions of the tools previously
> mentioned, all the tools work with 5.2.9, anything beyond that and the
> pages/interfaces do not open.  I find no PHP specific errors in the event
> viewer.  The only error I find in the server log relates to use of local
> time versus a time zone, and only deals with Nucleus.
In php 5.3 you have to set your timezone in your php.ini.
for example:
date.timezone = "Europe/Budapest"
for me.