From: "Earl" on
running windows XP, Xitami 2.5c2, and php 5.2.9
everything works well

tried installing many versions of PHP after v5.2.9 and always get a CGI
error, none of the php pages load.

From: "Sascha Meyer" on
Hi Earl,

Earl wrote:
> tried installing many versions of PHP after v5.2.9 and always get a CGI
> error, none of the php pages load.

I never worked with Xitami as web server but this could get you started:
- check your webserver's log files, this could be your windows eventlog or some logging file from your webserver; see if there are any errors after you have called your php script

- rename php.ini to something different and restart your webserver service; if the error disappears, the error could be related to an extension directive in your existing php.ini file

- does a simple phpinfo() also results in a CGI error?

Keep me updated if you tried the above.

Regards & merry Christmas from Germany,

Sascha
From: "Earl" on
First let me say thanks for your reponse.

Installed PHP 5.3 and did get the CGI to work.

Now a separate issue: I use several programs which use PHP (php MyEdit,
phpMyAdmin, and NucleusCMS for BLOG's) after installing PHP 5.3 these
interfaces would not work. I tried reboot, checking the ini file, tried
installing the ini in windows, then windows/system32. No matter what I
tried I couldn't get the programs to work.

reverted to 5.2.9 and everything is back to normal.

I've been trying to get the new versions of PHP to work for some time, think
I'll just stick with 5.2.9 and forget about it.

From: Ferenc Kovacs on
5.2.12 is the latest version in the 5.2 branch.
5.3 brings a lot of improvements and a couple of new features, but it
can be some incompatibility issues with the pre 5.3 applications.
I think phpmyadmin does have a version which is compatible with php
5.3 out-of-the-box.
I don't know the other two tools you are using, but you should try to
download the latest version of them from their official site.

Tyrael

From: "Sascha Meyer" on
Hi Tyrael,
Hi Earl,

Tyrael wrote:
> 5.3 brings a lot of improvements and a couple of new features, but it
> can be some incompatibility issues with the pre 5.3 applications. ...

most applications should work both with the PHP 5.2 and 5.3 branch, i.e. phpmyadmin is available for PHP 5 and there is a separate version available for PHP 3+4.

Earl wrote:
> I use several programs which use PHP (phpMyEdit,
> phpMyAdmin, and NucleusCMS for BLOG's) after installing PHP 5.3 these
> interfaces would not work.

Could you clarify "would not work" a bit? Which error is posted when one of the applications is called? Do you get a PHP error or one directly from your webserver? php.ini is searched for in the following order:
* SAPI-specific location (don't know about Xitami's setting here)
* PHPRC env variable (if set)
* [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PHP] registry setting
* the webserver's bin directory
* C:\Windows
The currently loaded php.ini can be retrieved through "php_ini_loaded_file()".

Regards, Sascha
--
GRATIS f�r alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!