From: John H Meyers on
On 5/8/2010 11:03 PM, "Steve" wrote:

> i lost my old out box, in a computer crash, so i renamed a back up to
> out-backup and copied it into the eudora directory, and then copied
> all the e-mails from 'out-backup' to 'out'. all of the e-mails in the
> outbox now have a 'saw-tooth' mark in the far left; how can i change
> that to a 'check' mark showing that they've been sent?
>
> when i right click on an e-mail (or all), 'sent' is greyed out.

What version of Eudora has a "sawtooth mark" for any message "Status"?

Versions 5 and earlier?

I don't see this "sawtooth" in the status symbols
shown on pages 141-142 of the version 7 manual,
but on page 103 of the version 5.2 manual,
there's a "torn message" symbol,
which becomes "red circle containing a white X" in later versions,
representing an "error" status.

Any mailbox whose exactly corresponding uncorrupted TOC file is retained,
copied or moved with its corresponding MBX file, and remains intact
should be able to retain the previous "Sent" status
on all originally outgoing messages,
and it should be possible to transfer "Sent" messages
from any such intact mailbox back to "Out"
(where they originally came from to begin with)
without losing this status, although _incoming_ messages
should never be transferred to "Out" (the latter action
can lose some status and other "summary" info,
as a warning message may indicate).

On the other hand, if you have caused the TOC file to be _rebuilt_
then it can become difficult to correct the matter.

You can change a "recovered" status (symbol "?" - not shown in manual)
to "Sent" in the "Out" mailbox of version 7.1,
but various other statuses makes Eudora think
that you may have an "incoming" message, which may not be changed to "Sent,"
because only originally "outgoing" messages could have been "Sent" by you.

If you look closely at undamaged original messages in the "Out" mailbox,
vs. the status of messages in any other mailbox,
you will see that there is in fact _no_ status that is common
to both incoming and outgoing messages, and that you can make changes
only within the group of possible statuses for messages going in each direction.

The context menu (right click) for "Status" in any mailbox other than "Out"
shows the status menu applicable to incoming messages, but if any selected message
is actually "Outgoing," then that entire menu is grayed out.

Similarly, the context menu for "Status" in the "Out" mailbox
shows the status menu applicable to outgoing messages, but any status
not applicable to _every_ selected message will be grayed out.

Here's a related posting about how to change "Error" status to "Recovered,"
and then "Recovered" status to "Sent" (possibly only with version 7.1)
in a rebuilt "Out" TOC, although of course this status may not always be correct,
particularly if some of the messages had never actually been sent:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/msg/4c5badfbda2f12a3

By the way, to rebuild the entire TOC of an "Out" mailbox,
the mailbox needs to be in the main mail folder and named "Out" -- because
that's the only way to get Eudora to assume the messages are all outgoing,
rather than all incoming, which has an obvious effect on rebuilding the
"Who" column data, in addition to other data.

Partial recovery of a merely slightly out of date TOC (e.g. after a crash)
may be able to preserve the status of all messages
whose TOC entries are already correct, while "recovering"
(or even fixing) the rest, according to Katrina IIRC.

To best rebuild any mailbox which had contained both originally outgoing
and originally incoming messages, you would need to first separate those
into the two distinct original directions, using two mailboxes,
then handle the recovery of "outgoing" in the same special manner as above.