From: HeyBub on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Are you referring to O (capital letter oh with umlaut; ALT+0214)?

No, he's trying to extract one character from the Symbol font.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
HeyBub wrote:
>> Are you referring to Ö (capital letter oh with umlaut; ALT+0214)?
>
> No, he's trying to extract one character from the Symbol font.

[intentionally posted in UTF-8 encoding]

Are you clairvoyant now, too?

From: SC Tom on

"Bill 43" <Bill43(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to use character map to enter a certain symbol into a document.
> I have the character code and font installed but am having difficulty
> actually typing in the code. It is the code for a check mark in the
> Symbols
> font. It says the code is 0xD6. I believe I am suppose to hold down the
> ALT
> key and use the numberic keyboard, but there are no letters on the
> numberic
> keyboard. Also I don't know what the "x" means. Does that mean push the
> "x".
> I have tryed many different ways to enter this but it does not produce the
> check mark. Please advise. Also, don't know if that code leads with a
> number or letter
> --
> Bill 43

Try ALT+251. It's not really a checkmark, but may be close enough for what
you want.
--
SC Tom

From: HeyBub on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> HeyBub wrote:
>>> Are you referring to O (capital letter oh with umlaut; ALT+0214)?
>>
>> No, he's trying to extract one character from the Symbol font.
>
> [intentionally posted in UTF-8 encoding]
>
> Are you clairvoyant now, too?

Uh, no. Just literate. You'd be surprised at how often that's enough.

But thanks for asking.

From the OP:

From: HeyBub on
Bill 43 wrote:
> I am trying to use character map to enter a certain symbol into a
> document.
> I have the character code and font installed but am having difficulty
> actually typing in the code. It is the code for a check mark in the
> Symbols font. It says the code is 0xD6. I believe I am suppose to
> hold down the ALT key and use the numberic keyboard, but there are no
> letters on the numberic keyboard. Also I don't know what the "x"
> means. Does that mean push the "x". I have tryed many different ways
> to enter this but it does not produce the check mark. Please advise.
> Also, don't know if that code leads with a number or letter

You've got to do two things:
1. Add the character as Alt-0214, and
2. Change the font for that single character to "Symbol"