From: Bill 43 on
I am trying to use character map to enter a certain symbol into a document.
I have the character code and font installed but am having difficulty
actually typing in the code. It is the code for a check mark in the Symbols
font. It says the code is 0xD6. I believe I am suppose to hold down the ALT
key and use the numberic keyboard, but there are no letters on the numberic
keyboard. Also I don't know what the "x" means. Does that mean push the "x".
I have tryed many different ways to enter this but it does not produce the
check mark. Please advise. Also, don't know if that code leads with a
number or letter
--
Bill 43
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Bill 43" <Bill43(a)discussions.microsoft.com> said this in news item
> I am trying to use character map to enter a certain symbol into a
> document.
> I have the character code and font installed but am having difficulty
> actually typing in the code. It is the code for a check mark in the
> Symbols
> font. It says the code is 0xD6. I believe I am suppose to hold down the
> ALT
> key and use the numberic keyboard, but there are no letters on the
> numberic
> keyboard. Also I don't know what the "x" means. Does that mean push the
> "x".
> I have tryed many different ways to enter this but it does not produce the
> check mark. Please advise. Also, don't know if that code leads with a
> number or letter
> --
> Bill 43

What you see is a hex code. When you see D6 then you must type 0214. Use
calc.exe in hex mode to perform the translation and remember to always start
with a 0. And instead of using the Alt-trick, why not click Select, then
Copy while in charmap? Much easier!

From: VanguardLH on
Bill 43 wrote:

> I am trying to use character map to enter a certain symbol into a document.
> I have the character code and font installed but am having difficulty
> actually typing in the code. It is the code for a check mark in the Symbols
> font. It says the code is 0xD6. I believe I am suppose to hold down the ALT
> key and use the numberic keyboard, but there are no letters on the numberic
> keyboard. Also I don't know what the "x" means. Does that mean push the "x".
> I have tryed many different ways to enter this but it does not produce the
> check mark. Please advise. Also, don't know if that code leads with a
> number or letter

Why not just double-click on the character(s) you want (or select them and
hit the Select button) and then use Copy to put those character(s) into the
clipboard? Then just use Paste in whatever app you want to use them.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Are you referring to Ö (capital letter oh with umlaut; ALT+0214)?

From: Bill 43 on
I am not referring to the capital oh with umlaut- just whatever I need to
type to make a check mark. The reason I did not want to just copy and paste
from character map is because it will be a mark I wish to use over and over
on many occasions and I thought it would be quicker to have a keyboard
shortcup to it. Thanhk you
--
Bill 43