From: Rahul on
I wanted to deploy a bunch of terminals whose only use is as remote
desktops to a central server. While exploring suitable linux distros I
found ThinStation Linux. http://www.thinstation.org/ Maybe there are others
too. tsclient+rdesktop provides connectivity to all sorts of server-OS's I
would think of connecting to.

But what's a good, cheap hardware choice? I found Wyse and a cople of other
vendors but they seem to sell the HW+OS etc. Any other suitable, cheap
hardware to run Linux off?

--
Rahul
From: jan olieslagers on
Rahul schreef:
> I wanted to deploy a bunch of terminals whose only use is as remote
> desktops to a central server. While exploring suitable linux distros I
> found ThinStation Linux. http://www.thinstation.org/ Maybe there are others
> too. tsclient+rdesktop provides connectivity to all sorts of server-OS's I
> would think of connecting to.
>
> But what's a good, cheap hardware choice? I found Wyse and a cople of other
> vendors but they seem to sell the HW+OS etc. Any other suitable, cheap
> hardware to run Linux off?

I hope you are aware that a thin client does not really need an O/S? It
could actually be said that the philosophy of Thin Clients is to have a
maximum of intelligence and software on the server side, and as little
as possible on the desktop.

The Wyse thin clients that I worked with (several years ago now) were
indeed not much more than a DHCP-client plus an X-server (yes, server!
however confusing that may sound). Sun used to market a thin client,
called SunRay, that left even the X-server on the server side.

If one wants cheap (and who doesn't?) one also considers cost of
maintenance - with these thin clients, maintenance, and the according
downtime, is limited to a flash upgrade now and then.
From: Joe Beanfish on
On 03/04/10 16:37, Rahul wrote:
> I wanted to deploy a bunch of terminals whose only use is as remote
> desktops to a central server. While exploring suitable linux distros I
> found ThinStation Linux. http://www.thinstation.org/ Maybe there are others
> too. tsclient+rdesktop provides connectivity to all sorts of server-OS's I
> would think of connecting to.
>
> But what's a good, cheap hardware choice? I found Wyse and a cople of other
> vendors but they seem to sell the HW+OS etc. Any other suitable, cheap
> hardware to run Linux off?

This site might help...
http://www.mini-itx.com/
From: Rahul on
jan olieslagers <adelco_gene_zever(a)skynet.be> wrote in news:4b90caaa$0$2877
$ba620e4c(a)news.skynet.be:

> I hope you are aware that a thin client does not really need an O/S? It
> could actually be said that the philosophy of Thin Clients is to have a
> maximum of intelligence and software on the server side, and as little
> as possible on the desktop.

True. But I didn;t have the ability to write a Thin Client myself and don't
feel like paying Wyse et al for their proprietory client magic. So either I
find an open-source, free, client or else I can just install a stripped
down Linux version. Those were my thoughts.

> The Wyse thin clients that I worked with (several years ago now) were
> indeed not much more than a DHCP-client plus an X-server (yes, server!
> however confusing that may sound). Sun used to market a thin client,
> called SunRay, that left even the X-server on the server side.

The problem with Wyse and its ilk is that most of their options online seem
in the $200 range minimum. Without a monitor and keyboard.

In these days, one can get a baseline netbook for that price. So Wyse seems
overpriced for my needs. That's why I feel if I found some cheap hardware
I could just install a tiny linux version and use that as my thin client.

Some of my need also comes from a peculiar cross-OS need. We have a Windows
server. But the clients can run free Linux on them so long as there is a
way to RDP.

--
Rahul